Discuss Moving hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doppiooo

I would appreciate a little advice. I am moving to a bungalow. There is no gas central heating just a hot water cylinder. I would like to move the Hot water cylinder out of the existing airing cupboard into a new airing cupboard I will build. Is this just a matter of disconnecting the pipes etc moving the cylinder and reconnecting? I believe there are only a couple of pipes connected to the cylinder. Thanks

Yes there will be two pipes,the cold feed from the tank in roof to bottom of cylinder and the pipe from the top which is your hot supply to your taps and also tees off and runs up to over the tank becoming the open vent,this pipe must run from the top of cylinder upwards to over tank above and if you move must not loop downwards from top of cylinder then back up ,I persume you get hot water from an immersion heater in the cylinder ,therefore elctrics will require moving also
remember to lag all pipework in roof well
:)

One thing to be aware of, if the cylinder is quite old you may well end up with a leak after you disturb it, personally if i was going to the trouble of moving an old cylinder I would pay the couple of hundred quid and put a new one in. Depends on the age of the cylinder really.

Thanks again, I recall the cylinder is factory lagged I will ask the seller of the bungalow how old it is. She is a widow she dont seem up on this sort of info. Untill I move in I cant really suss it all out properly.
She is on economy 7 however, so would this mean she will have 2 emusion heaters in the cylinder?
Also when I move this cylinder does it matter if it is not directly beneath the tank in the loft where my vent pipe will go to.
I would like to say thanks to all you guys and to all those other tradesmen for sharing your opinions and giving tips and advice etc to us diy people. It makes our diy so much easier. Thats my thoughts anyway and in case anyone thinks so, I am not being a crawl arse, just expressing my sincere feelings.
I am away this morning 21st till this coming friday 25th should you get no reply to your post. Thanks

As NickH said it could be dodgy disturbing the pipe connections so consider cutting the pipes instead, this would avoid stressing the cylinder and probably make the whole job
easier,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock