Search the forum,

Discuss Memory lane: When Men were Men, and Boilers ran for 30 years in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coal fired boiler - thats what we need. Were all the rage in the '30s. Never went wrong

Coal fired boiler - thats what we need. Were all the rage in the '30s. Never went wrong

Yep solid as a rock, mine didn't! Can i digress?
Actually in my last house, no mains gas see, I had a 50Kw solid fuel Dowling Sumo and a LPG Potterton running into a Dunsley Neutraliser. 4 pumps, 4 Normally open valves, three pipe stats. Had to nigh on fit the thing myself in the finish, simply because all the plumbers I could find keen to fit such a thing were Northerners- I'm down south.
Every southern plumber where I was would look at it like I was off my head to even consider coal. As for a Dunsley Neutraliser... what????!

Went thru' a good half dozen. None knew what i was talking about.

Bloke from Leeds came down, and didn't bat an eye lid. Once the northern guy had done the donkey work, had southerners finish off. When you've got no gas, and LPG being what it is, solid fuel, via a Dunsley Neutraliser, then anyway, was the best solution.

I had to fight convention, and was so glad I did. ie a victim of plumbers wanting to install what they knew rather than listen to an unconventional solution to an unconventioanal house (listed) No
silly ROI of 4-10years eitehr, mine paid in 18 months - 2 years. LPG bill had been mahoosive. So pricey compared to coal at the time.

So if 12-15 year boilers are all fixable?
I'm wonderin' why there's all the carping about boilers being obsolete. My brother had to be rid of his Saunier Duval for this reason.
I've been looking, seems heat-exchangers can be swapped, which is good, and i take the point, once done it's fair and good, a new boiler.

It seems the stereotype of modern boilers might not be altogether deserved..

"Heating Engineers"
It's jsut that nigh on half a dozen er "Heating Engineers" would have been very happy to steer me wrong, simply because that was what they knew, and was in their self-interest to have me run with. I still reckon (in my part of Bucks anyway), I knwo more about triple souce dual, fuel and triple fuel solid fuel mix systems than all the local plumbers put togeher, simply because they don't fit it down here. Or didn't then. And didn't have need to learn. "Heating Engineers" Northern plumbers, on the other hand...

So sorry.

Perhaps modern boilers aren't liek modern light bulbs afterall, 3 x price, less light, or horrible light, and 3 x shorter life. (Despite all claims to contrary) ;)

Last edited:
As you know what you want. Rather than waste the time of those who offer tested solutions free of charge. Just circulate a Bill of Quantities, drawings and specification so no ones time is wasted.

As you know what you want. Rather than waste the time of those who offer tested solutions free of charge. Just circulate a Bill of Quantities, drawings and specification so no ones time is wasted.

No you have me wrong, in that solid fuel case, it was a Scotsman that put me onto the 'tested-solution' as he was doing it, and free of charge. Frankly I wanted him to do the job.
Because all his experience was in Dumfires and Galaway he wasn't used to gas on tap, but did know of the issues with large houses miles from mains supplies, unlike my local plumbers. All his work was liek that, hence, he knew exactly how to deal with it.

That was an exception, in this case, I will have to listen to you all. No real options.

Last edited:
Scotsmen are great with solid fuel...
Lots of experience as many north of the border still lives in caves..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Memory lane: When Men were Men, and Boilers ran for 30 years in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock