Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflow Cylinder Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

j0n35y

Hi, I had a Megaflow 170i cylinder and a Worcester system boiler fitted a few months back and for the past month or so whenever the hot water comes on from the timer there is a loud bang/pop kind of noise coming from inside the cylinder and it happens every few minutes for about half an hour. Its loud enough to be heard in the surrounding rooms.

Do you think the cylinder may have a fault, everything works fine no issues at all. I know they have safety features so that they don't explode but its still a bit worrying.

BTW I did regenerate the air gap but this made no difference. Only plus side I guess is I don't need an alarm anymore to wake me up in the mornings...

Thanks

Allan

Time to get the person back who installed it for you

Hi, the plumber in question we are no longer in contact with as he messed us about on our bathroom job and we had to have it finished by someone else. Long story.....

I was just wondering what you guys thought and if anyone has come across this problem before. Our old Megaflo didn't make any noise that I can remember.

Thanks

Could be a fault inside the Megaflow. If you think the noise is coming from inside the unit then contact Megaflow as it will be under warranty. That's if it is installed correctly and has been properly registered for building control and warranty

Some units by other manufacturers have noise problem, but you need to contact Megaflow for solution.

+ 1 to the above if you post a pic of the cylinder I'm sure the guys could give you a heads up if they see anything wrong

Thanks for the feedback here's a few pics.
IMG_4920.jpg
IMG_4918.jpg

Sorry for some reason they are showing sideways :D.

I few things I've tried, flushed system, bled and inhibited, cleaned magnafilter, recharged air pocket in cylinder, tried different speeds on pump from fast, slow and auto. No difference, system works perfect and hasn't lost pressure since being installed.

I guess next step is calling Megaflo.

Shame they haven't connected the immersion heater up ad a backup!
Read your post properly and looking at the sysem, you bypass could be sticking As a test open the bypass fully ( under the red cover)

Last edited:
Thanks Chalked, Ill have a look at the bypass. We have some British Gas cover which I may use to get them out and have a look.

Earlier today I was next to the cylinder when it went bang and the noise was so loud it made me jump. I think it could be to do with the coils inside flexing and expanding when heating up, last thing I want is them failing and contaminating the hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chalked, Ill have a look at the bypass. We have some British Gas cover which I may use to get them out and have a look.

Earlier today I was next to the cylinder when it went bang and the noise was so loud it made me jump. I think it could be to do with the coils inside flexing and expanding when heating up, last thing I want is them failing and contaminating the hot water.

Unlikely but not impossible. As said, providing the guy who installed it has notified it and sent off the warranty info to Megaflo, they should come out.

Unfortunately because you're not qualified to work on the thing at all (and this includes wiring up the immersion), we cannot really give you any advice other than that.

I appreciate all the help. I have fully opened the by pass valve and ill see how it is in the morning.

Definitely sure it's from inside the cylinder and not from the coil pipework/2 port valve?

Had clunky two ports before. Noise will transmit through pipework, coil and seem like its coming from cylinder.

Had clunky two ports before. Noise will transmit through pipework, coil and seem like its coming from cylinder.
Me too, but with a Honeywell generally when fitted the wrong way round.

Hi Allan
The problem is almost certainly with the pressure of the hot water not the heating. Did you have a older Megaflo replaced with this new one? As that would go someway to explain why there is an old composite valve set installed on the cold feed instead of the new one supplied with the new cylinder.

It is is old enough for it to have started to fail, the balanced cold supply has also been installed incorrectly (as there is no back flow protection.

Try to get installer back to install the new valve set supplied otherwise unfortunately you will need get a G3 pro in to install new one & alter the pipe work. No good calling Megaflo as incomplete / incorrect install.

Last edited:
Definitely sure it's from inside the cylinder and not from the coil pipework/2 port valve?

I'm pretty sure, heard the noise when I was next to it. Didn't seem like it was coming from anywhere else, but I could be wrong...

Hi Allan
The problem is almost certainly with the pressure of the hot water not the heating. Did you have a older Megaflo replaced with this new one? As that would go someway to explain why there is an old composite valve set installed on the cold feed instead of the new one supplied with the new cylinder.

It is is old enough for it to have started to fail, the balanced cold supply has also been installed incorrectly (as there is no back flow protection.

Try to get installer back to install the new valve set supplied otherwise unfortunately you will need get a G3 pro in to install new one & alter the pipe work. No good calling Megaflo as incomplete / incorrect install.

Hi Chris, yes we did have an old Megaflo, was similar model I believe. I'm honestly not surprised, I would never recommend him to anyone. If the noise is still there tomorrow that will be my next thing to look at. Thanks alot

Why change a Megaflo ? they have life time warrantee on the tanks, you only needed to replace the control valve set.

I know these things inside out you will need to get that valve changed & small amount of alteration to pipework.

unfortunately now you know why it is so important to only use persons who hold the Part G / un-vent ticket (ask to see it before they start), as required by Law.

Why change a Megaflo ? they have life time warrantee on the tanks, you only needed to replace the control valve set.

I know these things inside out you will need to get that valve changed & small amount of alteration to pipework.

unfortunately now you know why it is so important to only use persons who hold the Part G / un-vent ticket (ask to see it before they start), as required by Law.

It was only meant to be a boiler change. I asked him to check the system and he said that there where signs of a past leak on the tank showing me some white chalky marks around the bottom lip. We agreed to have it replaced but he never once said it was under a guarantee, just wanted more money out of me. :cuss:

Anyway I adjusted the bypass valve last night from 0.2 to 0.1 bar and still got a few pops this morning from tank. I adjusted it again to 0.6 bar and didn't get any noise when it came on this afternoon. I've now put it to around 0.4 bar this evening and still no noise. Could this really have been the culprit?

Also I don't think the Cold Water Combination Valve is faulty as I read you loose pressure when the spring goes and the pressure is great all round the house especially the mixer shower. Also the relief valve on the other side seems ok.

Definitely will get them changed soon seen kits online for around £140.

Thanks for the help.

It was only meant to be a boiler change. I asked him to check the system and he said that there where signs of a past leak on the tank showing me some white chalky marks around the bottom lip. We agreed to have it replaced but he never once said it was under a guarantee, just wanted more money out of me. :cuss:

Anyway I adjusted the bypass valve last night from 0.2 to 0.1 bar and still got a few pops this morning from tank. I adjusted it again to 0.6 bar and didn't get any noise when it came on this afternoon. I've now put it to around 0.4 bar this evening and still no noise. Could this really have been the culprit?

Also I don't think the Cold Water Combination Valve is faulty as I read you loose pressure when the spring goes and the pressure is great all round the house especially the mixer shower. Also the relief valve on the other side seems ok.

Definitely will get them changed soon seen kits online for around £140.

Thanks for the help.

OK thats find, you have just confirmed it for me, I suspect you either have or will attempt DIY, which as I have already stated is against the Law. So no more help from me & I would hope anyone else on this forum.

Get some one in who understands both the Megaflo's & can re- set a heating auto by-pass.

Last edited:
An Auto bypass has to be set correctly. You may have turned it off or close to. If you have then bye bye boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflow Cylinder Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
I wanted to start a new more dedicated thread as I am on about 3 just now in one way or another trying to get up to speed with my problem. The issue is that my Gledhill Stainless Lite indirect unvented cylinder makes loud noises when heating - this is a bit random, but that noise is loud enough...
Replies
Views
Hello, Hope you guys can help, I have a conk/clunk noise coming out the cylinder, when I draw hot water from any tap in the house - I’ve checked the pipes and I’m very sure its not water hammer, I will attached couple of recordings to the this post and what my setup looks like. The cylinder is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock