Discuss maybe a daft question? ........... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

hi all,

so scenario is a standard boiler service only, no other appliances touched, just visual.

No full tt done as boiler tightness checked and 2mb drop, fail ID, obviously if a tt was done at lets say a u6 with no smell it would be a permissable drop.

now, what would you do?

just curious as its probs a bad question with an immediate answer but i;d like to know

Max allowance of 4mbar over 2mins with a u6 existing instal. unless the leaks in the pipework then its a fail.and theres no smell. Isolate all app and do test to make sure leak not on pipework.

Max allowance of 4mbar over 2mins with a u6 existing instal. unless the leaks in the pipework then its a fail.and theres no smell. Isolate all app and do test to make sure leak not on pipework.
thanks kris, but ive been taught gv passing ID but different tests would show a different classification, strange one mate appreciate your feedback

Are u sure its the gas valve passing n not a leak somewhere else.

I didnt realise u ment the gas valve passing. I thought u done a tt and had 2mbar of drop. My mistke nysk

boiler isolated by stopcock, passing at p1, but my point is mate it wouldnt pass on a boiler tt but would on a normal tt, thats what I cant get my head around

If youve determined gas valve passing your right defo fail. Did u use water gauge or digital . I always use my fga but sometimes i do the test multiple times as the sensors give off wrong readings depending if i open valve to quick

Know what you mean as if youd did a tt then everything within reason.

If youve determined gas valve passing your right defo fail. Did u use water gauge or digital . I always use my fga but sometimes i do the test multiple times as the sensors give off wrong readings depending if i open valve to quick
i only ever use water mate on any sort off tt whether boiler or full, maybe a bit old school but heh ho

Isolate and replace said gas valve nysk.

i only ever use water mate on any sort off tt whether boiler or full, maybe a bit old school but heh ho

One thing water doesnt lie.

Basic rule of thumb. If it drops on a tt and there's no smell, with all of the appliances connected, you're OK if it's within limits. Anything else, if it's on an appliance or if you look for the leak by isolating things, no drop allowed.

So I would always do a tt instead of testing at the appliance. Unless the customer wants the leak found or can smell gas.

Last edited:
Was this a mini tightness test to check safety controls?

remember a 2mb drop on a tiny section of pipework inside a boiler would not give you a 2mb drop at your meter. Volumes would be a lot different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to maybe a daft question? ........... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m at a loss with this one. We renovated a run down house and have lived in it now for about 16 months. We had a new Greenstar 8000 Style 35...
Replies
Views
Done a fair bit of reading and spoke to numerous plumbers/heating engineers and I get so many different answers to my question. By nature I'm a...
Replies
Views
Hello, This is my first time posting as I'm a new member so apologies in advance if this has been covered before. I have recently done a...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hello to the forum, I just thought I would share this response from GAs-safe.. I had occasion to suspect that an install was dangerous by a non...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Firstly i feel really dumb asking such a amateurish question so please be nice as i feel i have to ask for clarification i'm working...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock