Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss map pro & propane in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently bought a Go system auto torch with map gas and was reading on here the other day, that beginners would not be able to solder properly with map/pro gas and would be better of with propane.. just wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject for me please.. thanks men

Map is very hot.
Propane is colder. Gives you more time to solder the fitting and a bigger window to get it right

Map produces higher temperatures and beginners may apply too much heat to their fittings. Personally I prefer propane and keep Map for brazing.

I use mapp, prefer it over propane, but everybody is different.

recently bought a Go system auto torch with map gas and was reading on here the other day, that beginners would not be able to solder properly with map/pro gas and would be better of with propane.. just wondering if someone could shed some light on the subject for me please.. thanks men

Hi pipeline you will find it easier with propane at first as it is not as hot as Mapp therefore allowing you more control until you build up your soldering skills.regards turnpin:hurray:

thanks men,, the old torch ive got is a Go system,, but one u start up with a lighter, tha has a propane bottle, i do feel more confident using over the new torch,, the only reason i bought the maps is because it said to use that one on the box,, and then found out that the propane bottle also fits..

thanks men,, the old torch ive got is a Go system,, but one u start up with a lighter, tha has a propane bottle, i do feel more confident using over the new torch,, the only reason i bought the maps is because it said to use that one on the box,, and then found out that the propane bottle also fits..
Just for future reference, you can also purchase adaptors that allow you to use bottles from other manufacturers.

save up for a rothenburger sf2 if your taking plumbing seriously bin the go tat

parrafin..............

When I used to help my old man as a kid he used to have a paraffin lamp. Every now and again it would flare and you'd get a 6 foot flame out of the end of it. By the time I started we'd moved onto a Sievert torch on a hose connected to a 3.9 Kg propane bottle. I resisted the Rothenberger torch for ages until I used someone elses. I then realised that it might be more expensive to buy the gas but it was a damn site easier to lug about, lugging a 3.9Kg propane bottle into a loft is a hassle I was glad to be without.

does anyone know if you can actually stil buy parrafin? they were bloody dangerous, as Mike says a 6ft long jet of liquid flame setting everything in sight on fire, petrol were even worse, they were like abomb ready to go off. I've got the Rothenburger so easy just press the button and its lit, no messing with oily rags.lol

save up for a rothenburger sf2 if your taking plumbing seriously bin the go tat

yeah... i wish i did get the sf2, a bit late now,, also the one i bought wasnt much cheaper,, plumbing is more of a hobbie at the minute,, gona do a part time evening course next year,

Mapp gas is better in my opinion. Propane takes too long to get the joint hot. I hear it often said that people prefer propane, but lets face it, we're heating it until the joint is hot enough for solder to flow, not tilll it glows red, so once its up to temp, back off with the torch.

The difference with Mapp is, getting up to temp takes less time.

Also, you don't have to have your torch on full blast. Not with a SF2 at least. I will turn it down or sometimes just not squeeze the button as hard.

Propane for me. Map is like a big set of stilsons. Leave in the van until you need it.

You can still buy paraffin Stani. BandQ sell it but cheaper from the fuel merchants (kerosene).

I have about 20 paraffin blowlamps i bought one night i was pished. ÂŁ10 bid on every one i saw on ebay and won the lot :drunk:

There is a photo on here somewhere with some of them.

mapps good if your working on outside pipework or want to mask a good fart dropped when customer is about.imo.

i would not recommend a auto/power torch to a trainee, too powerful to learn with and to easy to melt customers decor.

i normally use propane, but mapp if working on 28mm+ or outside.

i hated the parafine lamps first plumber i was apprentice to had one used to carry two glass bottles of parafine and meths to start it used to go home stinking like an oil shop
now theres a memory ,oil shops, any one else remember the smell of parafine and kindling wood bundles they had a board with connectors for all the different bulbs they sold and tested each one they sold you

Last edited:
i hated the parafine lamps first plumber i was apprentice to had one used to carry two glass bottles of parafine and meths to start it used to go home stinking like an oil shop
now theres a memory ,oil shops, any one else remember the smell of parafine and kindling wood bundles they had a board with connectors for all the different bulbs they sold and tested each one they sold you[/QUOTE

yer dead right they always tested the bulbs before giving them to you, we also called the kindling 'oily wood' for starting the coal fire, eeeee memories

i personaly use mapp for the time diffrence it does speed up those big jobs. i do use propane tho and agree it is better for biginners as it gives more of a window for getting it right. i agree with above over the sf2 its a top piece of kit and its fine tuneable for the individual user :)

I find as I'm getting older the bottles are too heavy to lug about so only use it if I need to lead burn.

i personaly use mapp for the time diffrence it does speed up those big jobs. i do use propane tho and agree it is better for biginners as it gives more of a window for getting it right. i agree with above over the sf2 its a top piece of kit and its fine tuneable for the individual user :)

Thought it was just me who uses the mapp, I love it for the speed. Although I do go through heat mats. :)

I use Mapp most of the time as I find that when lighting me *** buts it gives a clean fast burn to the edge of me beard, also with ordinary propane when soldering in tight kitchen cuboards I find that the black scorch marks look really awful so at least with mapp it actualy burns a hole in the back of the cupboard ready fer drilling the outside tap the waste hole and if it turns into a raging inferno you can put a cat flap in too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to map pro & propane in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock