Discuss Mains Supply Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bugsyroo

Hi all,

My first post is a bit of an arduous one, but hopefully someone can offer me a little advice!

We moved into our house about 4 months ago and the water flow was really low. Three separate plumbers all suggested that Thames Water should replace our external stopcock. They have finally done that but it made no difference - if anything it made it worse. Thames water came back and checked. They couldn't detect a leak in our supply pipe and suggested it was our internal stopcock. One of our plumbers came round today and said our mains pipe has a leak and our stopcock is fine (although it dribbles/leaks a bit after being turned). Apparently replacing a mains pipe costs thousands and it goes under the house....

What at should I do?

Thanks in advance

Bugsy

If you have a meter outside turn the internal stopcock off and if meter spins your incoming main has a leak if no spinning no leak, has anybody checked the pressure and flow of the main ?

If you have a meter outside turn the internal stopcock off and if meter spins your incoming main has a leak if no spinning no leak, has anybody checked the pressure and flow of the main ?

Get a mole man in for a quote , it's less than you think. To renew but as above it could all be in sin if mains in street is rubbish. Is your supply a lead one?

Hi there

thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately we don't have a meter. Thames water checked both the pressure and flow on their initial visit (from the kitchen tap) and observed the pressure at 4bar and the flow at 8 litres per minute.

When the water comes out of the tap - if no other water's been used for a minute or so - there's a burst of water for around 5 seconds then it reduces to a very weak flow

Have another plumber in again to take reading as near as posible to internal stopcock ! If reading gives you higher flow rate then replace valves , is there a filter on your kitchen mixer that could have been blocked from dirt when mins stopcock was done !

We're hopefully getting someone else in over the weekend. Don't think the mixer taps the problem as the same symptoms occur on our outside tap, in the cistern of our downstairs loo, in our shower and (from what I can hear) in tank in the loft.

We're hopefully getting someone else in over the weekend. Don't think the mixer taps the problem as the same symptoms occur on our outside tap, in the cistern of our downstairs loo, in our shower and (from what I can hear) in tank in the loft.

Have you got a Prv or an unvented cylinder?

4 bar and 8 lpm? Small dia pipe me thinks!

Only 8 l/pm on 4 bar is a seriously bad flow rate. You would get more water through the inside of a bic pen.
You have no option but to bite the bullet and replace the service if you want decent water.
If the old one goes under the house there are other ways.
Speak to a local plumber (a decent one)

If you don't have a meter close the stopcock in the house then listen to the pipe using a piece of wood.
If it is running anywhere you'll hear it.

If you don't have a meter close the stopcock in the house then listen to the pipe using a piece of wood.
If it is running anywhere you'll hear it.

Intriguing! I shall go out and buy a length tomorrow!

Hi Bugs - its a good question which loads of others will ant to watch so stay with us

before you go too far gettin people in - please describe 'water flow really low' in your terms.

This is important - is it on your cold water supply to your kitchen or outside tap, or is it in your bathroom. Maybe the poor flow is on your hot water in kitchen and/or bathroom

Also there is considerable difference between pressure and volume problems. Come back to us with your observations and we can help you centralheatking
49895]Hi all,

My first post is a bit of an arduous one, but hopefully someone can offer me a little advice!

We moved into our house about 4 months ago and the water flow was really low. Three separate plumbers all suggested that Thames Water should replace our external stopcock. They have finally done that but it made no difference - if anything it made it worse. Thames water came back and checked. They couldn't detect a leak in our supply pipe and suggested it was our internal stopcock. One of our plumbers came round today and said our mains pipe has a leak and our stopcock is fine (although it dribbles/leaks a bit after being turned). Apparently replacing a mains pipe costs thousands and it goes under the house....

What at should I do?

Thanks in advance

Bugsy[/QUOTE]

Hi Bugs - its a good question which loads of others will ant to watch so stay with us

before you go too far gettin people in - please describe 'water flow really low' in your terms.

This is important - is it on your cold water supply to your kitchen or outside tap, or is it in your bathroom. Maybe the poor flow is on your hot water in kitchen and/or bathroom

Also there is considerable difference between pressure and volume problems. Come back to us with your observations and we can help you centralheatking
[/QUOTE]

by water flow really low I mean it takes 26 seconds to fill a litre. It is on the cold water supply to the kitchen and outside tap. Hot water comes from the hot water tank situated downstairs.

Cheers

Bugs

Until you phone them and they give you a rubber ear. I doubt it but things may be different down your way.

Just to update this. The internal stopcock under the sink has been replaced with no effect. The new plumber believes the pipes leading into the property have corroded and are restricting the flow. Unfortunately this isn't something Thames Water fix!

However, Thames Water have been back around and have pointed me in the direction of another stopcock before the rising main pipe which is hidden behind our kitchen cabinets. I've peeked at it with a torch and a mirror and it looks old and manky! Guess I'll be ripping the kitchen out next, to get to it!

Cheers

Bugsy

Have to agree there.When I built my extension it involved digging down and manoeuvring the 1930's lead mains pipe, a job that takes a couple of minutes, boy was I Cra99ing it.

Hi all,

Hole was cut in the cupboard, ancient stopcock located and removed - replaced with a new pipe to the new undersink stopcock and we have more flow than we know what to do with and have saved a small fortune! We still have a bit of 100 yr old lead pipe which is likely to pinhole at some point, but that's for another day.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Bugsy

Another positive result for UKPF ! I think we should go to the Plumbers Arms and have a beer
It so good to read a happy outcome centralheatking
Hi all,

Hole was cut in the cupboard, ancient stopcock located and removed - replaced with a new pipe to the new undersink stopcock and we have more flow than we know what to do with and have saved a small fortune! We still have a bit of 100 yr old lead pipe which is likely to pinhole at some point, but that's for another day.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Bugsy

Well done to op ! We should have a thread counter just to show new members how many problems are resolved here with help from plumbers members !

funny someone mentioning the listening with a stick as i had just gone to bed last night when i heard some noises outside when i looked out it was the waterboard man with his listening stick checking for leaks down the road maybe i should have carded the street today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mains Supply Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock