Discuss Main 24 he in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevie

Hi people, I've just moved into a house and it has a main 24 combi boiler, the machanical time clock has been swapped out for a digital Grasslin timer, it also has a wireless stat.

The house has been rented for years and seems to of had a regular boiler service, ( boiler installed in 08 )

now, the water works fine, but there is no heat, it's doing nothing, green light on.... So I'm thinking time clock, or something obvious to you experienced lads.

A little about me - I'm a qualified electrician - SJH Electrical - Electrical Testing in Liverpool and Merseyside and I've done a ( short ) and in no way enought ( 5 weeks) Gas course at hybrid technical in Aintree.... I know it takes years to become fully competent, I'm not about to start stripping this boiler down.

Im just thinking it might be something basic on the electrical side, timer , stat ....

any ideas

many ththanks
ste

ps please excuse the typos, I've no Internet so I'm on my mob.

Is everything calling for heat? time clock? wall stat? boiler thermostat up to max? boiler set for heating and hot water?
:)

thread should be closed gas advise cannot be given on an open forum. if your gas safe registered pm your details to a moderator who allow you access to the closed for for gsr engineers.

Now you wouldn't go telling someone whos not qualified how to fault find on a board on the sparky forum now would you.....

Hi guys, I understand about not think it's right to give advice on the Gas side of things, but I'm asking advice on the electrical side of things.

For those who have given me a few basic pointers "thanks" I'll get me testers out and do a few tests.

Cheers

Hmm, how do you know you're leaving the boiler in a safe working condition after your work?

I'm testing the circuit sequence to check that the necessary voltage and signals are being sent.

Im not planning on changing any Gas components... Infact I'm not changing anything at all, I'm testing the electrical circuitry, which I'm qualified to do.

Whats the point of testing it yourself when you are more than likely to be unable to fix it as the repair would more than likely come under the remit of a gsr engineer.

So the only reason you are testing it, or more like trying to test it, is so that you can fix it yourself. Something that the forum will not condone.

Just get a gsr in. Your family may thankyou in the long run.

no sealed casings need to be removed to check the mechanical clock (grasslin clock) most probable cause is the rf stat or clock and whats wrong with a sparky checking that .short out the room stat .

Still illegal to remove a single screw on a gas appliance.

As after performing work on any gas appliance 26(9) must be completed

You cannot complete 26(9) unless qualified

As self employed or business you cannot allow an unqualified person loose. As I'm sure you were told on your course.

I think you will find that the above statement isn't true, as a qualified and registered electrician I can wire up stats / power etc to boilers.

Yes then it should be checked and commissioned by a competent and qualified gas installer . Why save your self arguing the toss and call gas safe tomorrow?

He can test at the clock and stat without having to go any further into the boiler.

He cannot touch the boiler, it's pcb, the connections to the pcb or the case, gas installation and use regulations. Any testing or inspection is deemed as " work"

Fishing

anyone with a half ounce of sense and experiance on a multimeter can eliminate controls.
a qualified electrician should have no problems eliminating them.

Which leaves the boiler.

Get off your hi horse, I'm not fishing at all, I've been open and honest about where I think the problem is at, if I though it was the Fan, heat exchange or other, I'd say.

For all that contributed in a constructive manor, "thanks" all sorted today... It was the timer.

mods, please feel free to close.

Cheers

Ste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Main 24 he in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm sure this is an old question but here goes. I'm looking for some advice regarding switching from a conventional boiler to a combi. I moved...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some help/advice with my shower. I've a Main Combi 24 boiler, and my shower is from a mixer tap over the bath. When...
Replies
Views
Hi folks. Sorry this is a long one. I'll try and keep it organised. Son has just moved into a purpose built (2013 ish) 4th floor apartment as a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm a new flat-owner and plumbing novice. I've never had a combi boiler before. I need to change the cartridge in my shower-room tap (a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock