Search the forum,

Discuss Loud banging from Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I hate - cocky plumbers! I have no quarms about helping people on forums even though I am not in the trade. It is people like SGI that put you off believing there are genuine and honest people in the trade.

I have never heard of 'parameters of fun' and a 'flux switch' before. Could somebody please clarify?

Last edited by a moderator:
fun creates negative pressure , and if there is restrictions in the burner the pressure will get lower therefore boiler needs a good clean ,
ist the forum good , you can write and then delete your post :)

by the way I am honest person and you have not got a right to make such a comment here , you dont know me ,you have never met me in you live !!! how could you come up with some thing like this ! I am well respected engineer M.Joshi

fun creates negative pressure , and if there is restrictions in the burner the pressure will get lower therefore boiler needs a good clean ,
ist the forum good , you can write and then delete your post
smile.png

Yes quite - you can choose to be more polite.

Is 'fun' short for something?

M joshi SGI gave you a price and you didn't take it you got another company in for less money and you still have problems
Do you really expect him to now tell you the problem for free????
Don't see any comment as cocky apart from yours this is a gas boiler that legally you can not work on so why should you be told what the problem may be I'm sorry you didn't get a decent plumber in on the first place but if you want it sorted once and for all I'd do a bit of apologising to SGI

Oh, I see! However, mbar is generally associated with gas pressures not fan rotation?

What about 'flux switch'?

mbar = 'millibar' just a unit of measure is used for lots of things including in the weather forecasts

M joshi SGI gave you a price and you didn't take it you got another company in for less money and you still have problems
Do you really expect him to now tell you the problem for free????
Don't see any comment as cocky apart from yours this is a gas boiler that legally you can not work on so why should you be told what the problem may be I'm sorry you didn't get a decent plumber in on the first place but if you want it sorted once and for all I'd do a bit of apologising to SGI

I thought I hired what was a good Gas Safe Registered company to do the service - turns out that they didn't do the service correctly. When I saw 'fun parameters' and 'flux switch' mentioned, I assumed these were absurd comments. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I don't intend to repair the fault myself and wouldn't touch any gas parts. Besides, I've heard that the hydraulic block is a nightmare to remove on this model anyway.

I am not asking anyone to repair the boiler for free. Just after some genuine advice so that I'm not fobbed off. I have provided advice to other users on this forum without any sly remarks and expect the same from other members regardless of their experience level or number of posts.

Did I do good?

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

We've just had a service on the boiler today - the D2 TRVs have been ordered.

I am a bit concerned that the service wasn't done properly. We paid ÂŁ60 +VAT and this is all that was carried out:

Remove cover
Check gas pressure / boiler output
Clean out condensate trap
Visually inspect heat exchanger from outside

I mentioned that the hot water was extremely hot at the time of booking the service but, they were not able to find out what was causing this? They only identified that the hot water pressure was lower than the cold water pressure, the hot water was cloudy and that a filter? may be blocked in the boiler.

I thought that during a service the boiler should be stripped down and the heat exchanger inspected for any corrosion. Does ÂŁ60 +VAT seem expensive for this service (NW London)?

They didn't carry out a flue combustion analysis - when I asked why not, they said it wasn't required on a standard service. Their meter was away for cal. but they could do this at a later date!

So, is the above list all that is required for a full service?

Just had a quick re-run through the thread.
I had it in my head that this was a Worcester Junior 24i as per the title and have just realised it is a Worcester Greenstar 24i Junior. Is this correct?

If so; how can the engineer you had do the so called service confirm safe operation of a Zero governed boiler if no flue analysis was carried out? If this is the case you have been stung in my opinion. You have paid for someone to look at your boiler and say "I think it is running ok"!

GrahamM, you are right, the boiler is indeed a Greenstar 24i Junior. I can't see a way of changing the title of the post now?

When I questioned them why they didn't do a flue gas analysis, they said it wasn't required. They said that they can check the correct burning by observing the gas flame and checking around the flue for cracks/vapour! They also said that their gas analyser was away for calibration and would be back in a week - this sounds to me like they probably don't have one. I kept stating to them that all other companies carry out a flue gas analysis as a preliminary check for a service. They said that it wasn't required.

I have sent them the manufacturer's installers and service manual which indicates that the flue gas analysis should be checked and the primary heat exchanger dismantled and cleaned during an annual service.

Regarding the NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) code plug - the boiler was purchased around 5/6 years ago and I don't know if Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior boilers were supplied with them then?

Not hey were not. Only last 2 years

I was always taught that the gas rate just shows you that its using the correct amount of gas not that its burning correctly.

On these boilers I do
1.Flue analysis on high flame (case off) adjust as needed
2.Flue analysis on low flame (case off) adjust as needed
3.Gas rate
4.Flue analysis on both high and low flame case on if a seal has gone in the boiler or flue the co/co2 will start to rise. you do tend to find quite alot of problems Ive had split flues, split seals, flues not put together correctly etc.

I might just be being fussy but better to cover yourself

Just a note when adjusting the gas valve high an low, always finish on high as adjusting the low can affect the high, not saying you don't do this, just pointing it out for others that might not

M.Joshi got quotes picked 1 then went with it ok probably didnt quite say the right thing when getting a price but then how many customers do ring up and say I want a full strip down service of my worcester greenstar 24i junior they just phone up and say I want a boiler service. He went for a gas safe engineer who has come out and not carried out an essential check on the boiler that is not his fault I am sure that with hindsight he would have gone with SGI and pay the extra but then hindsight is a great thing.

Alot of people look and see gas safe and automatically expect (rightly so) that the engineer is competant but I bet every engineer on here knows people that you wouldnt ever trust but they still get work. It is so hard for the customer to get quality engineers with the amount of useless people out there.

ÂŁ120 for a strip down is not expensive. If I worked for myself then I probably wouldnt charge that much but wouldnt be far off.

Anyway for your hot water problem really you need to check the flow rate out of the taps and temperature and compare it to MI

Millsy 82 - Below is what I posted on MyBuilder - where I came across the company in question. They also seemed quite proactive in calling and keen to do the service as soon as possible hence, why I chose them! I did confirm that the service would be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered person.

Should I have worded my request differently?

---------
We would like someone to do a full service on our Worcester Bosch Junior 24i boiler. Note a full service is required, not just an inspection or check i.e ensure all parts are working correctly, inspect heat exchanger and replace gasket as necessary.
The hot water from the boiler is occasionally coming out extremely hot. There are no hot water controls on this boiler.
---------

I would take that as a full strip down service I would phone them and get them back to finish the job and do it properly with flue analysis.

Well there's your problem 'mybuilder'.

Did you check there gas safe credentials?

So how much should I roughly be looking to pay to have a strip-down service and rectify the hot water problem in the NW London area?

Is the NOx code plug expensive to retrofit on this boiler?

Also, how much should I be paying to have a couple of TRVs replaced too?

Thanks.

the hot water temperature is pre-set on these boilers, can get really hot i would suggest fitting a TMV to get around the issue, or having thermostatic mixer taps fitted.

one of the reasons i dont like worcester juniors, i like to be able to control the hot water temp on my boilers :)

The maximum temperature they should get to is 55 put a thermometer under it and check that. It might be that your plate is starting to scale up and slowing the flow rate down meaning it has more time to heat up the water

55 is still too hot if you ask me, that's why i prefer to have hot water control on boilers

According to Worcester Bosch technical, the low NOx code plug can only be used on the newer software pcb. So, it seems we won't be able to have it fitted on our boiler!

The maximum temperature they should get to is 55 put a thermometer under it and check that. It might be that your plate is starting to scale up and slowing the flow rate down meaning it has more time to heat up the water

I agree with Millsy your plate sounds like its scaling up giving you a slower flow rate and causing you to get scalding water. Another thing, if you have had your water main stop valve shut off recently and haven't opened it up fully again causing a slower flow rate through the boiler gives u scalding water. Have seen it be simple like this before, hope this helps.

Is this simply a matter of running de-scaling chemicals for a few days through the system or is a more complex de-scaling procedure required?

I don't think the cold water stop valve has been touched recently. The cold water pressure seems to be fine. Just slightly restricted hot water pressure, a little cloudy and extremely hot.

Your plate heat has 2 sides the mains water side and the heating side if it is scaled up then its the mains side of it so running descaler through your heating system wont do anything you can remove the plate and pour descaler in the mains side but i'd recommend replacing the plate. What you really need to know is the flow rate that you have coming out of the taps as by eye you wouldnt notice the difference between 11 and 9 litres per minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud banging from Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock