Search the forum,

Discuss Loud banging from Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.Joshi

Hello All,

We have a small Worcester Bosch Junior 24i boiler which is making a loud banging noise when operating.

If a radiator valve or TRV is adjusted (turned), the noise disappears.

Is this likely to be a faulty radiator valve, TRV or something else?

The boiler has 3 radiators attached to it (2 normal, 1 towel). The towel radiator does not have a TRV fitted.

Thanks.

You have a faulty trv valve. Need a new one

You could DIY it using YouTube or you can post it on here and someone local will be able to help you out

Thanks for your reply SimonJohns.

The reason why I wasn't 100% certain it was a TRV is because the banging also disappears if a radiator valve is adjusted.

How do I determine which TRV is faulty? Adjusting any radiator TRV or valve seems to temporarily stop the banging noise.

You have a faulty trv valve. Need a new one

The reason why I am not 100% sure it is a TRV is because the noise disappears when a valve or TRV is turned (slight turn clockwise or anti-clockwise). This can be on any radiator valve or TRV and not a specific one.

if they are poor quality valves they tend to do this ive changed a few

Is there a radiator with out a TRV to act as a bypass?
The boiler has 3 radiators attached to it (2 normal, 1 towel). The towel radiator does not have a TRV fitted.

glenno1 - I think you may be right. The TRV could be a cheap one! It looks very similar to this:

[DLMURL]http://lpssupplies.com/images/Angle-trv-image-for-box.jpg[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:

glenno1 - I think you may be right. The TRV could be a cheap one! It looks very similar to this:

[DLMURL]http://lpssupplies.com/images/Angle-trv-image-for-box.jpg[/DLMURL]

OK, for some reason the 2 replies I posted last week on this thread haven't been moderated and posted on here? Here they are again:

Why does the noise disappear if any valve/TRV is adjusted?

I believe the TRVs fitted are cheap - they are similar to this one:

[DLMURL]http://lpssupplies.com/images/Straight-trv-image-for-box.jpg[/DLMURL]

Does anyone know if the Danfoss RAS-D2 liquid TRVs are reliable?

At a guess boiler overheating due to lack of circulation, you open trv circulation restarts and boiler cools.

But as I mentioned, there is one radiator (towel) without a TRV fitted so there still should be circulation?

We also have another issue which has occurred recently - the hot water from the tap is occasionally very hot. There is no hot water temperature adjustment on the front of this boiler.

A flush on a new boiler and system that was installed only around 5/6 years ago?

why not ? some heat exchangers very susceptable to smalll particles of dirt which will cause overheating, is there a filter on the return pipe to boiler

No filter on the return. We have booked a full service for Wednesday - what should this involve on this model of boiler? I am wary that some companies quote for a service but in fact it's only an inspection and checking emissions comply with the regulations.

Also, any comments on Danfoss liquid C2/D2 TRVs?

i use danfoss Trvs they are excellent, make sure you set the manual flow direction when fitted! i never get any chattering with these! what is the radiator stat set to on the front of the boiler! if its overheating and only 3 rads on the system, i think you could run this on 2-3 and sysytem would be fine!

Danfoss TRV's are good, I think the only differance between the C and D is the look, they use the same valve.

Are the lock shield valves fully open,

Start system from cold and see which valves get hot first trv or lockshield, Try removing the trv heads and run it without them to see if it carries on it may be that because its a small system the flow and returns are the wrong way round when they start shutting off they start vibrating due to the pressure from the pump forcing them down.

Failing that give it a good flush out doesnt matter how old the system is I have seen 3 month old systems need flushing due to not being properley flushed at time of install.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

We've just had a service on the boiler today - the D2 TRVs have been ordered.

I am a bit concerned that the service wasn't done properly. We paid ÂŁ60 +VAT and this is all that was carried out:

Remove cover
Check gas pressure / boiler output
Clean out condensate trap
Visually inspect heat exchanger from outside

I mentioned that the hot water was extremely hot at the time of booking the service but, they were not able to find out what was causing this? They only identified that the hot water pressure was lower than the cold water pressure, the hot water was cloudy and that a filter? may be blocked in the boiler.

I thought that during a service the boiler should be stripped down and the heat exchanger inspected for any corrosion. Does ÂŁ60 +VAT seem expensive for this service (NW London)?

They didn't carry out a flue combustion analysis - when I asked why not, they said it wasn't required on a standard service. Their meter was away for cal. but they could do this at a later date!

So, is the above list all that is required for a full service?

If you carry out a full strip down service you have to swap all the gaskets/seals that are touched. They should have carried out a flue analysis as you cant see the flame in the boiler so have no way of telling if it is burning correctly. My company charge ÂŁ70 and thats not in London (so a fair price but has not been carried out correctly) and unless it doesnt look right on analysis I dont strip them.

If you carry out a full strip down service you have to swap all the gaskets/seals that are touched. They should have carried out a flue analysis as you cant see the flame in the boiler so have no way of telling if it is burning correctly. My company charge ÂŁ70 and thats not in London (so a fair price but has not been carried out correctly) and unless it doesnt look right on analysis I dont strip them.

Agreed its best practice to use a gas analyiser, but the reason you gas rate the appliance is to tell if it is burning correctly ie +/- 5% of heat input.

I was always taught that the gas rate just shows you that its using the correct amount of gas not that its burning correctly.

On these boilers I do
1.Flue analysis on high flame (case off) adjust as needed
2.Flue analysis on low flame (case off) adjust as needed
3.Gas rate
4.Flue analysis on both high and low flame case on if a seal has gone in the boiler or flue the co/co2 will start to rise. you do tend to find quite alot of problems Ive had split flues, split seals, flues not put together correctly etc.

I might just be being fussy but better to cover yourself

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing the excessively hot water?

Thanks.

you contacted me for a service and turn down my quote , now you see is going to cost you much more to do a simple service which i could have provide you with ! hot water comes at set temperature on this boiler , if you want to be able to adjust temperature on this boiler then should have picked up better boiler ! also they should have install the nox chip as you have 3 rads !

ÂŁ85 labour plus ÂŁ35 materials +VAT seemed a little expensive. I also didn't understand what you meant by this: "Should any of the parameters of the fun or product of combustion are out then will be second visit". "Fun parameters are -3.5 -7.00 mbar of a negative pressure !"

I am aware that there is no external hot water dial on this boiler. The water hasn't ever been this hot before and therefore not a problem. As I understand, the hot water should automatically be regualated to a safe temperature on this boiler.

I thought this Worcester Bosch boiler was good at the time of purchase?

What is a 'nox' chip?

You need to do a check on this boiler to tell you if the heat exchanger needs cleaning, you do it by putting your manometer on the fan pressure test point when the boiler is in service mode on maximum. For the 24i Junior it should be lower than -3.1mb. If this is ok and your analyser readings are all good I don't see any point in doing a strip down of the heat exchanger it means the customer has to pay more for seals/unnecessary work, but I still do all the working pressures/gas rates/condensate trap clean out/etc.

I agree with SGI on this a low NOX plug should have been installed and SGI is correct about the fan negative pressures as you can see I have mentioned above!

ÂŁ85 labour
ÂŁ35 materials
this was for a full service ,
the bit you did not understand was if you were going to have a normal check on your boiler which would have cost you ÂŁ50+vat !

Last edited:
you are not a potential customer M.Joshi , you had your chance to use my services now enjoy the forum and google and I hope you have a good evening :)

Whats the deal with that Nox chip i keeo finding in the Worcester Boilers? I have not ever fitted one. What are the benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud banging from Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock