Search the forum,

Discuss Losing Out On Jobs Because Not VAT Registered. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Priced up a barn conversion. Twenty four thousand pounds materials and Labour. Labour was just under seven thousand.

Now the customer apparently only has to pay 5% vat, and has come back this morning to say he is probably going to go with the other company as they are cat registered and it will be easier.

Anybody had the same thing? Anybody any creative ideas to overcome this?

I've had something similar. Customer was blind and new shower cubicle was classed as an adaptation, so he was exempt from having to pay VAT, but I wasn't going to charge VAT. All I could suggest was that he buy his own materials.

This was what he sent me this morning.

I will let you know shortly, but with such a big part of the job being materials I may have to go with someone who is VAT registered. This will not only save me quite a bit now, but should make the eventual overall VAT refund more straightforward as everything will be at 5%.

This was what he sent me this morning.

I will let you know shortly, but with such a big part of the job being materials I may have to go with someone who is VAT registered. This will not only save me quite a bit now, but should make the eventual overall VAT refund more straightforward as everything will be at 5%.
I would leave him to it mate.

Order the materials get him to pay for them if he’s ok with that

You can’t do all the good work offered to you.
Re the Vat, -
Not sure exactly, but there are some rules that the vat reduces and drops to 5% if a house has been derelict for over 10 years. Think it has to be a private home though, not for profit.
Another piece of info about vat is it can be fully claimed back on more than just new buildings. A ‘new dwelling’ also means a barn conversion, as never previously was a dwelling.

Doesn't matter the percentage because as the vat is not his to claim back , the fact he's asking you if your vat registered sounds to me like he automatically thinks you or who ever gets the job will simply give him the vat back, that's a lot for a tradesman to loose out on. Or am I not understanding it lol

Doesn't matter the percentage because as the vat is not his to claim back , the fact he's asking you if your vat registered sounds to me like he automatically thinks you or who ever gets the job will simply give him the vat back, that's a lot for a tradesman to loose out on. Or am I not understanding it lol

I assumed the customer just saw the benefit that a vat registered installer could claim it back, therefore the customer wouldn’t have to pay the extra for the vat in the first place and try to retrieve it later.

Agree. Whereas a non-VAT installer would be lumbered with paying 20% VAT on materials which would put them at a disadvantage against an installer that pays no VAT on materials and only has to charge the customer 5% in this case.

Unless the job price is 4 x the cost of materials, then the VAT reg'd business has the edge.

You are misuderstanding. VAT is never the tradesmans.

Things may have changed, but I was under the impression that converting anything (completely non residential) to a dwelling was ZERO rated. It may be 5%, I may have misunderstood that bit myself.

However, any reduction of VAT is for the clients benefit. It used to be the case (when I had a shop) that new builds into which we installed products were zero (or exempt, cant recall which) rated. We paid VAT on our pruchases, claimed that back as normal, but obviously there was no VAT to pass on from that job.

Where we supplied only (Fires and Fireplaces), we would charge the VAT at normal rates, and the client would claim the VAT back (at the end of the build, I beleive)

A quick Google found this:
Claim VAT refunds if you build new houses on a DIY basis

It seems ALL the VAT is reclaimable, where does the 5% discussed here come from? 5% is the rate applied to certain energy controls, much of which was always a mystery to me, and even HMRC disagreed with CORGI when they offerred a VAT claim back for installers.

In fact, as I write, I am thinking maybe that iwhere Kris was coming from. CORGI used to (and maybe still do) had a program whereby you as an installer would use their system to claim 5% on boiler changes, in return for commission. The installer DID get the benefit of this, but only if they quoted a single figure. If you quoted "VAT included at 20%" or "£x Plus VAT", any reclaim would have to be refunded to the client. If you quoted "£***", then you could keep the reclaimed VAT.
But HMRC claimed CORGI were claiming for non qualifying products, and I agreed with them, so never got involved.

Vat can vary depending on how long a period a house has been vacant that is being refurbished I believe

Vat can vary depending on how long a period a house has been vacant that is being refurbished I believe

The OP referred to a barn - which presumably has never been residential.
I do not believe any refurbishment projects of derelict homes EVER get VAT relief of any sort.
But I am always prepared to be corrected with actual evidence.

The OP referred to a barn - which presumably has never been residential.
I do not believe any refurbishment projects of derelict homes EVER get VAT relief of any sort.
But I am always prepared to be corrected with actual evidence.

They do. Not sure of the details, but if a house has not been occupied for a certain number of years (I think 10 or more), then vat is reduced.

A barn or outbuilding, as you say, is not a dwelling and would be vat free to be converted into a dwelling

Reply to Losing Out On Jobs Because Not VAT Registered. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock