Discuss loctite 55 as thread sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

What do you mean by scratch up? As in like keying in with some wire wool/wet&dry/emery or something else? Have never used loctite 55 but think will give it a try after all the recommendations in this thread.

Cross cut a hatch pattern with a pair of grips or hacksaw blade

Got some 55 today, tiny little roll, I'll have to make sure I don't get it mixed up with my toothy floss!!
Also after spending decades generally preventing damage to threads, deliberately scratching up the thread is gonna take some getting used to. But overall looks good, thanks guys!!

20181210_180933.jpg

Use miles and miles of the stuff, brilliant on threads up to 2"1/2 but got to be carefully any bigger then that as it can run up the thread even when you have scored them.

Yes

If the thread is super smooth (well machined) I take an old screwdriver and drag it vertically down the thread to create a key for the loctite to grab to. In addition I apply from the start of the thread (ie the first thread to enter the fitting) towards the top, then back down to the start. This way the loctite is pretty sure to be dragged into the thread rather than pushed out when tightened. Love the stuff…don’t get me started on CT1

Loctite 55 is very good on rad tails, but I often do it with hemp and paste.

PTFE I keep for threads I don't want to seize up, and for wrapping 3/4" olives to allow connection to 1/2" alkathene. Wouldn't use PTFE to attempt to seal a thread out of choice.

Reply to loctite 55 as thread sealant in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back