Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking slotted basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil Reid

I've just installed one of those trendy Italian basins that sits on top of a vanity unit (wife's choice), together with an Aqualisa monobloc mixer tap. The tap came with a slotted basin waste, which had a softish white top seal for above the basin, and a harder white seal for under the basin (so I assume). Anyway, I used a little silicon sealant around the top seal for good measure, and everything was fine with the plug in. However, when I opened the plus there was a significant leak around the waste as the water escaped.

As a test, I put some duck tape across the slots in the waste and this stopped the problem, so I thought do I need a non-slotted waste (I never knew there was more than one type until yesterday!). However, the basin has an overflow, and reading on the Internet, I gather that I should use a slotted waste.

I've 'cured' the problem by putting a lot of silicon sealant on the bottom seal as well, but this seems a bit of a bodge. Surely I shouldn't need to do this on the bottom of the basin as wsell as the top?

What's the definitive answer?

Thanks...

by putting a lot of silicon sealant on the bottom seal as well, but this seems a bit of a bodge. Surely I shouldn't need to do this on the bottom of the basin as wsell as the top?

What's the definitive answer?

Thanks...
thatscorrect.
you need to seal round the basin waste before fitting the seal and nut.
or water will just pass down the thread and out the seal/nut.

or use a basin mate seal then you don't need the silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking slotted basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock