Discuss Leak under cistern - connecting float valve to the water supply pipe, as per photo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeighB

Hi

When I screw the water connection back on to the float valve thread under the cistern, there is a leak when I turn the water back on. There are 3 fibre washers filling the gap.

Does anyone know what I could do to stop the leak?

Thanks you

Attachments

• DSCN2974[1].jpg
    DSCN2974[1].jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 85
Re: Leak under cistern - connecting float valve to the water supply pipe, as per phot

Is it a new inlet valve? I had a valve that kept leaking no matter what I did, fitted a new valve and job sorted. You should not need 3 washers.

Re: Leak under cistern - connecting float valve to the water supply pipe, as per phot

try to use rubber o-ring, will get drip when not perfectly square. where is the leak coming from?

No, it is an old valve. Was ok this morning but only started leaking when i screwed it back together. It did only have one washer, i thought a further 2 would stop the leak.. The leak is not as bad but it's still a trickle all the same.

Have you cross threaded it? It is easy to do with plastic threads. Looking at the photo the pipe is not square to the inlet valve so it would be easy to screw it on crooked. When it is on look at it to see if connector is perfectly square to the valve. If you have cross threaded then it can be difficult to get it on square and a new inlet valve is required.

In addition did you put PTFE tape on the thread? It looks like there is some on there but that could be old and needs renewing.

Only use one washer, take the PTFE off the white plastic thread, then as above make sure it's not cross threading. If all else fails get a brass tailed valve instead of the plastic one.

Adding washers increases the risk of leaking because you have added more surfaces to seal - check the surfaces of the joint and the washer for any signs that might cause a problem. A softer washer might be better. As mentioned, make sure the joint is pulling up square when tightening.

Or you could call a plumber, tbh looks like you've done the thread on it.

Use a half inch to 15mm female iron (Brass, or chrome if you want looks) with a rubber washer in the bottom and screw the connector onto that

Cut off the end of the thread with a hacksaw (the bit that has been cross threaded), and start again.

Could be a split in the plastic i changed one today valve was leaking went to tighten it up and a spray of water appeared from the thread seems that whoever put it in put paste on the fibre washer onto the plastic and it may have damaged it

Best to change the valve for peace of mind. If possible get a brass threaded one. You could always cut back and fit a 150mm flexiable tap connector, it will have a nice rubber washer and work if its not square. Flexi's are not as good as copper but are a good idea if your not experienced and want to do it yourself.

good luck.

Another thing i find helps with fitting these is to take the ballofix off(if the water is off lol), screw this onto the plastic thread first, then attatch the pipe back into the ballofix, makes life easier.

I agree but it kinda defeats the idea of the isolator.

the problem is you are trying to fit a flat surface fitting on to a ballafix ment for an pipe and olive

the problem is you are trying to fit a flat surface fitting on to a ballafix ment for an pipe and olive

That aint a ballofix pal thats a straight service valve

Being a Saniflo guy I often have to remove the toilet to get to the pump then find the same problem when putting the toilet back so now I carry 1/2 inch brass extensions which are female / male fitting each end.

Being a Saniflo guy I often have to remove the toilet to get to the pump then find the same problem when putting the toilet back so now I carry 1/2 inch brass extensions which are female / male fitting each end.

generally known as tap extension pieces.

Supreme Plumbing & Electrical Supplies >> Order from Supremeplumb.com - Brass Tap Extension Piece 1/2" - EPS-BF705

Cut the damaged thread back, seal this to the plastic with PTFE tape and then connect the tap connector as normal. Great time saver when faced with a damaged thread.

All I would do is remove all three fibre washers put one new one on bit ptfe wrapped and tighten if cross threaded remove and fit a brass shank fluid master pro 45b with no ptfe sorted!

Get a new one with brass thread. easy fix under £20 if you do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak under cistern - connecting float valve to the water supply pipe, as per photo in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock