Search the forum,

Discuss Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there - I have an issue with my pipes that I am hoping someone can advise on (even if it's just to tell me to call out a plumber!).

I can hear a knocking noise in my pipes, in particular in the area near the boiler and in the bathroom. It persists when the boiler is turned off (even when I turn it off at the wall) so I am pretty sure it's not boiler related. It only stops when I completely cut off the water supply by turning off the stopcock. But it starts up again as soon as I turn the water supply back on.

I read some advice online to turn off the water supply, empty the pipes and turn it on again - but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have also bled the radiators to no effect.

Any thoughts about other steps I can take myself before I call someone out?

In case it's relevant: house was built in the 70s and I have a Potterton combi-boiler.

Thanks

Louise

First check if there are any ball valves on toilet cisterns (or any other places ) as they can cause knocking noise.
Often simply a new washer fitted to ball valve will fix, but a modern fill valve, like Fluidmaster Pro brass tailed valve on bottom connection cisterns would work well on mains pressure

The first thing to check is your stopcock if its the loose jumper type then this could be your problem as above check all ballvalves even ones not easily visable inside toilets ect , and the securing of your pipework , best of luck kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Knocking in pipes - stops when stopcock off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock