Search the forum,

Discuss Joining soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
First, I'm not a professional plumber.
I'm moving a wc and sink in my bathroom, which are connected into a 110mm plastic soil pile outside the late victorian building. As the new wc is half the distance from the soil pipe than the old wc, it needs to go into the soil pipe slightly higher than before, keeping the same fall. So I need to put the connection in a little higher on the soil pipe which means making the soil pipe section from the old wc connector into the ground slightly longer. However the lower end of the soil pipe is cemented into the ground, so I am wondering can I just cut the soil pipe lower down and join on a slightly longer piece rather than dig up the concrete at the bottom of the soil pipe. My questions are; Are joins acceptable in soil pipes ? How tolerant are pushfit connectors if the new wc soil pipe came into the soil stack at a sharper angle ?
Thanks

Is your soil pipe plastic or cast iron. If plastic while not ideal it is acceptable to use a slip coupler to join ina section of pipe to bring your branch higher to meet the new closer toilet pan.

Is your soil pipe plastic or cast iron. If plastic while not ideal it is acceptable to use a slip coupler to join ina section of pipe to bring your branch higher to meet the new closer toilet pan.

Thanks for the information.
It is 110mm plastic, so I can just cut it lower down and put in a new piece to adjust the level of the wc connection. I found it needs more adjusting as the old wc outlet pipe has a 14 degree downwards connection to the outside, where it joins a 90 elbow from where the 110mm pipe runs down at the usual fall into a swept tee on the soil stack. I believe now wc connections are installed horizontal to the outside, with the specified 18-90mm fall/m to the soil pipe, so it will need more adjustment than I thought originally.

If its just the anfle of the bend through the wall unless its all solvent welded 110 you should be abl to rotate the straight lengrh out of the branch on the stack. Get some pics posted and will be able to advise better. 1= 1000 words and all that.

As requested a picture. The new wc is about half way along that branch, and will come out of the wall a little higher as the outlet is horizontal, not at a 14 degree angle like the old wc.

If its just the anfle of the bend through the wall unless its all solvent welded 110 you should be abl to rotate the straight lengrh out of the branch on the stack. Get some pics posted and will be able to advise better. 1= 1000 words and all that.

I took a picture, but found unfortunately I am not allowed to post pictures due to forum rules on new members. So I'm not sure how to answer your request !

put your picture up on flika or sumet like and post a link to it.

Any pics of the inside? From what I can see on the outside there's plenty of play on that soil pipe to muck about with it

I'm moving the wc connection about half way between the old wc and the soil pipe shown in picture A Wheating kindly posted for me. The new WC will have a horizontal outlet unlike the old wc outlet which slopes down at 14 degrees through the wall to the elbow you can see in the photo. So the new outlet will come out of the wall to the right and higher than the existing wc outlet. If you keep the same fall into the soil pipe that means moving the swept tee up a little.

Steve the plumber, not sure I got your solution ?
cut the plastic back flush to the wall and use a flexi or an extention and multrui quik
Thanks

I'm moving the wc connection about half way between the old wc and the soil pipe shown in picture A Wheating kindly posted for me. The new WC will have a horizontal outlet unlike the old wc outlet which slopes down at 14 degrees through the wall to the elbow you can see in the photo. So the new outlet will come out of the wall to the right and higher than the existing wc outlet. If you keep the same fall into the soil pipe that means moving the swept tee up a little.

Steve the plumber, not sure I got your solution ?
Thanks
Based on the external pic you posted just pull out the branch (swept bend as you described it ) add a short length of 110 pipe that has an integral female coupling molded on the end then add the branch to the top of that and adjust the short length untill the sloping 110 lands where you need it. Be aware that you will probably have to alter the vent end if its offset around eaves. Most important of all be carefull. It isnt a complicated job but it will most likely be up a ladder and the weight of 110 partialy assembled with fittings could easily over balance you. Fix some wall anchors and strap your ladder to them so it cant move or slip left right or back. Of course complete the task at hand while continuously maintaining 3 points of contact with the ladder. If all that seems to difficult then save yourself the hassle and hire someone to do it and let them risk them selves.

Thanks solutions. That does seem the simplest solution, as I won't have to add another section lower down, and refit the small waste boss, and adjust the top of the soil pipe where it goes over the eaves.
The other possible solution is just to put the wc soil connection through the wall a bit lower than the new wc and use a flexi wc pan to 110mm connector, or an offset connector, so I get the fall inside. That way I just shorten the branch externally, but leave it alone otherwise.

On a totally unrelated topic, I'm curious, why is the rainwater downpipe next to the soil pipe 110mm too. Further down it connects into a standard 21/2" downpipe !

i'm moving the wc connection about half way between the old wc and the soil pipe shown in picture a wheating kindly posted for me. The new wc will have a horizontal outlet unlike the old wc outlet which slopes down at 14 degrees through the wall to the elbow you can see in the photo. So the new outlet will come out of the wall to the right and higher than the existing wc outlet. If you keep the same fall into the soil pipe that means moving the swept tee up a little.

Steve the plumber, not sure i got your solution ?
Thanks

sorry i missed the bit about moving it thought it was a swop over from angled to ho

You should be able to get that with either a spigot 45 in the bend going through the wall or maybe two spigot 45s in the branch outlet

fittings are male or female sockets anything with one of each is describeded as street so if you cut the existing run back so a bend is inline with the new pan position but to low the bend can be turned into the wall and a street 45 in to that pointing more or less straight through the wall it does mean you have to open the hole through the wall a bit bigger than normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock