Discuss "Jean pain" heated water input to combi domestic hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys; to be clear, what I have been asked to do is to connect directly to the hot water pipework without it passing through the boiler...

Interesting idea to feed pre-heated water into the boiler, however...

I don't think the combi will have any issues with water coming in temperatures up to 60c. The thermister / sensor will let the boiler know not to fire up the gas.

Re: Legionella
The bacteria multiply where temperatures are between 20-45°C and nutrients are available. The bacteria are dormant below 20°C and do not survive above 60°C. Legionnaires' disease is a potentially fatal type of pneumonia, contracted by inhaling airborne water droplets containing viable Legionella bacteria.
This was copied from: hse.gov.uk.

I would hate to know how many cold water pipes in houses are storing cold water at temperatures of between 20c & 45c for extended periods - particularly in summer.

I think my concern is, like Rob Foster's that the water is being stored in the danger band for Legionnaire's. If it were always at 60°C then I would be happy with it, but if it sometimes sits at 40°C, as it well may, then precautions are needed.

Feeding a combi boiler is all well and good (I think solar systems often do this and the pre-heat cylinder is heated and held above 60° once a week to kill germs), but if the water simply passes through the compost pre-heat then the water would only be heated to 60°C briefly (if at all) as it passes through the boiler heat exchanger, and I think it takes an hour to kill it off at 60°C.

Possibly the compost coil water could be pumped through a plate heat exchanger that could be used either directly to heat the mains water feeding the bath, or to pre-heat the boiler. In this way, none of the water that is being stored at a dubious temperature ever comes through a tap.

FWIW, if this hippy system works and can be incorporated safely into the domestic system, then I for one think it's a great idea.

Here are the temperatures and kill times.

This does not allow for water being replenished with fresh cold water at under 20c.
  • Above 70 °C (158 °F) – Legionella dies almost instantly
  • At 60 °C (140 °F) – 90% die in 2 minutes (Decimal reduction time (D) = 2 minutes)
  • At 50 °C (122 °F) – 90% die in 80–124 minutes, depending on strain (D = 80–124 minutes)
  • 48 to 50 °C (118 to 122 °F) – can survive but do not multiply
  • 32 to 42 °C (90 to 108 °F) – ideal growth range
  • 25 to 45 °C (77 to 113 °F) – growth range
  • Below 20 °C (68 °F) – can survive, even below freezing, but are dormant
Other temperature sensitivity[29][30]

• 60 to 70 °C (140 to 158 °F) to 80 °C (176 °F) – Disinfection range
  • 66 °C (151 °F) – Legionella dies within 2 minutes
  • 60 °C (140 °F) – Legionella dies within 32 minutes
  • 55 °C (131 °F) – Legionella dies within 5 to 6 hours

Reply to "Jean pain" heated water input to combi domestic hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock