Discuss James Anderson of Depher (Disabled & Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair) Doesn't Charge Customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Thus fella operating in Burnley has set up a not for profit business is crowd fund backed and carries out work for vulnerable people so he gets paid but the needy individual does not.
What a great idea. centralheatking

Attachments

• 6F244E64-97FB-4A2E-9A53-2F1504E819D4.png
    6F244E64-97FB-4A2E-9A53-2F1504E819D4.png
    4 MB · Views: 14
1568741042038.png

James Anderson of Depher (Disabled & Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair) Doesn't Charge Customer

BBC News said:
James is originally from Liverpool, where he was a bin man before he became a plumber in 1998. He has been running Depher - Disabled & Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair - as a not-for-profit plumbing company since March 2017.
"There are too many elderly and disabled people suffering in silence," he explains. "They don't like asking for help. They don't want to be a burden.
"We take away the burden, the stigma."
Speaking to the BBC, James says the company's work "stops them getting into debt" and helps them regain an independence they fear they may lose "if they think they can't afford repair costs".

This guy needs some backing.

Would any of you guys sign up to this kinda company? Perhaps do the odd job pro-bono (FOC) for customers who can't afford and are poorly?

Perhaps I should create a section in the directory to help with it?

I just saw a bit about this plumber on Jeremy Vine this morning who refused to charge a 91 year old lady with leukaemia for her repairs.

I did a bit of digging around and found this:

Does anyone know him or is he on here? That would be cool.

-----

A plumber is melting the world’s hearts after it was revealed he fixes pipes and boilers for weak clients with none cost.

James Anderson, 52, says he’s helped 1000’s of individuals in want since closing his personal enterprise and re-launching as not-for-profit firm, Depher.

His generosity got here to the fore after a invoice was posted on-line displaying he charged a 91-year-old lady with acute leukaemia £zero.

The daddy-of-five from Burnley wrote: ‘No charge for this lady under any circumstances. We will be available 24 hours to help her and keep her as comfortable as possible.’

Talking in regards to the constructive public response, James mentioned: ‘We didn’t anticipate it. It’s been all over the place.’
He raises cash utilizing crowdfunding and donations and helps individuals throughout Lancashire.

James mentioned he was impressed to wind down his personal work and start Depher after seeing an aged man poorly handled by one other engineer.
Since 2017, he has supplied free or lower-cost plumbing to these in want all through winters.

He claims the swap to not-for-profit work has seen him fall in to money owed of round £eight,000, though he insists the shortfall is underneath management.

‘Lots of people near me ask: why are you getting your self in to debt? Why are you doing this?
‘To me, debt is debt… I’d reasonably owe some cash to someone and one other particular person be alive and pleased and secure.

‘It’s an ethos that’s in my coronary heart and it’ll all the time keep there.’

Having helped locals in Lancashire over the previous two winters, James is now hoping to take Depher’s work country-wide.
He mentioned: ‘I’ve spoken to fairly a number of engineers across the nation and so they’re all for it… it’s simply getting the funding.

‘I don’t need any one who is aged and disabled on this nation, at the present time, to die or undergo due to a chilly dwelling or a scarcity of funding to restore the boiler.

‘It shouldn’t be taking place – that quantity must be right down to zero. Easy as that.’

The guy I trained under when I was an apprentice was on quite a few occasions very kind to the elderly, sick or totally broke. Either doing things at basic cost price to simply break even whilst keeping their costs down or even do a job for free once in a while for the elderly or infirm. He didn't do it for any publicity either, just something that I noticed he'd do once in a while. There are genuine people in the trade doing that kind of thing as I have seen it myself.

I fully understand that people need to make a living of course but it must feel good to help in such a way if you can. I am also absolutely certain there will be plumbers who contribute to these forums who have done similar acts of kindness in their work.

Slightly related but my vet for twenty years either didn't charge or charge cost price for dog vaccinations. As a consequence (attracting those looking for cheap vaccinations) he ends up getting banged up for fraud by aiding a puppy farming gang. He's out now thankfully after doing about eight months inside and after the appeal was finally granted at the highest court. It'll all come out in the wash eventually, here's just a small taste.

I posted this one yesterday under innovative idea..just got back
Formby...Basingstoke...Reading...back just. centralheatking
If it is genuine then its a great template just like PDSA...and ultimately it cannot affect bona fide fitters because we charge too much so financially challenged households can get a proper job...
bye by cowboys...whom fit badly and even play with gas.
I cannot believe BBC and a few national papers have not checked the
root source. Mike and I will ...because if it is genuine it will be my
nominated charity for next year. I have emailed the fella already.
report back in time chk

Last edited:

Reply to James Anderson of Depher (Disabled & Elderly Plumbing and Heating Emergency Repair) Doesn't Charge Customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock