Discuss is this quote fair? central heating upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I see your point but we are in our 40s
and this is the forever home so not too fussed about future sale value.

Sorry, Mark, but someone in their 40's has a long way to go (hopefully). There is a lot of water to go under the bridge, and life rarely pans out as you expect (that is from personal experience).

The heating is part of the house, and should be designed as such.

I did not see where you said the heating circuit is 10mm, but if it is, and you are totally refurbing, then definitely repipe.

also one of the installers said they do not unstall wickes or n
b and q bathrooms as they always fail. is it a fair point in your opinion?

Yes, they have. But, personally, if I did bathrooms, I would fit anything you wanted. But you would be aware that YOU are buying/supplying the gear, any time spent chasing missing/extra bits would be chargeable at my standard rates, and ANY call backs would be fully charged as normal, unless it was a leak on my soldered joint. I also would not be booking a firm date until the gear has arrived, and YOU have checked it over and confirmed satisfactory condition.

Ultimately, all the above means you would probably decline my quote and T&C's, so, perhaps, after a while and many declined quotes, I would refuse to waste my time and take a similar stance?

Serious question: On a modern UV cylinder, how long does the water keep hot?
Our 17 year old 170l Megaflo loses 8/9oc of heat over night, measured at 1/3 up from the bottom of the cylinder. That's with introduction of a bit of cold before we go to bed, and in the morning when we get up.

We only heat during periods 4pm > 10pm. None in the morning. Hope that gives you an idea.

We'll fit anything but I always advise customers that the fitting costs/labour costs are the same as fitting expensive/upmarket gear unless it involves more work (Such as concealed cisterns, shower valves etc). So it seems daft to me to skimp on the materials if it'll have to be replaced sooner, as you'll only have to incur another fitment cost sooner.

Our 17 year old 170l Megaflo loses 8/9oc of heat over night, measured at 1/3 up from the bottom of the cylinder. That's with introduction of a bit of cold before we go to bed, and in the morning when we get up.

We only heat during periods 4pm > 10pm. None in the morning. Hope that gives you an idea.

Thanks. But I did say modern. :)

seriously though - are very new ones any different?

Do you find the 4 hours serves you with HW all day? Is the main usage post 4pm?

Reply to is this quote fair? central heating upgrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler...
Replies
Views
Back