Discuss Is plumbing complete pants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Businesses & consumers need to rethink the way they treat people because if they don’t then the consequences are devestating........
YES exactly! I believe in Australia the Plumbers have social status equal to brain surgeons- ok maybe a little exaggeration... but you know!! Here it's... ' that part is 20quid cheaper on the net' and labour --- well 250 a day in London is way way too much- NOT if you consider all the down time- driving to and fro in standstill traffic, the amount of time you can work physically (ok so that gives away that I'm not a spring chicken but hell who does want to work 50hour weeks anyway).. it's just gone banana's and I love my job. I love being the fixer of important things that people can't do without. Finding just the right part can take time even though I might only be on the job an hour sometimes it can take ages finding the right shower cartridge- tho' Dave has sorted that out now...
After 20 odd years in the trade sadly I'm feeling a bit jaded now

I love my job too, obviously has it's good and bad days and some customers really push your patience to the limits, but I never wake up dreading going to work, always a new place and a new job to go to, I've met many weird and wonderful characters on my travels :D. But I've only been doing this 14 years, and still not self employed. I'll update my answer in about 10 years :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Been at this since 1982, and still learn something new every day. Plumbing has changed a lot over the years, some of it good, some of it not so good (depending on your opinion) and the industry is continually evolving. Prices are coming down and competition is increasing here as more are getting into the trade, plus due to the economy and freeze on wages, few customers have five grand to throw at a bathroom now or any home improvements for that matter. Still, I'd rather be a plumber than sitting at home looking at four walls and watching Jeremy Kyle on day time television as some of my unemployed mates are forced to do. However it does take a lot out of you, especially your health. I worked with lead a few years back and had to get regular blood tests for lead poisoning, and I've inhaled just about every form of asbestos and toxic fumes going, before health and safety became stricter as it is now, plus my knees and finger joints are fecked in cold weather due to strain being put on them. I fell ten feet off a ladder three weeks ago and skelped my head off a door on the way down and ended up with yet another hospital visit. The CT scan was well let's just "interesting" as to what they found as damage sustained from over the years. Still, I would happily keep going for another ten years as a plumber if my body keeps going.

Reply to Is plumbing complete pants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back