Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Is plumbing complete pants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Every plumber I know who has been doing this for a decent level of time utterly hates this trade .

Inventing TapMedic has meant me moving from the tools.

Like you, I had begun to despise dealing with the general public. Their ridiculous and unsustainable demands and unwillingness to understand our perspective or advice, coupled with always assuming we are lying b4stards, sapped my willingness to get out of bed, or return calls or even show up on occasions. You kinda think, sod it! if I'm treated that way I'll behave like they expect me to. I loved many many of my customers, and still go to help when they call me, but I found it took 10 good ones to offset the negative impacts of an arseh0le.

I also found dealing with the major merchants more & more frustrating. For most it was all a 'transactional' relationship. By that I mean the, 'right I've got your money now go away' attitude. That was why I moved to independants.

However, interestingly, some of them are now growing into that mindset as they are swallowed up. Personally I feel it's a lack of connection by management that drives it. Bringing people in to 'run' the business who have no idea of the business, means you lose the critical success factor of that connection.

A trade means you don’t have many transferable skills. You have spent so many years doing the same thing you are kind of stuck.
Unless you want to go and start at the bottom of the ladder again.

Just wrote this. Thoughts?

Recently on a help forum I frequent, a tradesman of over 30 years shared his slide into what can only be described as ‘loathing’ his trade.

Dishearteningly, he is an archetypal ‘good guy’. He is a truly gifted individual, someone who chose his trade, someone who enjoys giving not someone who failed to get a job asking, “Do you want fries with that?” that we see presented today.

You know, it saddens me deeply, but I get his point. When you are continuously treated with utter contempt, considered dishonest, unprofessional and a work shy ‘thicko’ for most of your working life, is it any wonder that people revert to type as a form of defence? Is it any wonder that no one, certainly no one of any level of emotional intelligence, wishes to put themselves up for this global crucifixion – customers, suppliers, media et al?

One can argue till one is blue in the face about the chicken or egg of the situation. The fact is, the physical skills the UK needs to literally run on an hour by hour basis are dying out as the talented, experienced tradespeople get out – regardless of reasons why.

Let’s just contemplate the consequences of, say British plumbers, withdrawing their labour. How might it impact YOU? Most of you reading this will think, no problem. You’d be wrong. Very wrong. Whilst you may not be immediately impacted, as soon as vital infrastructure reliant upon plumbing skills breaks down then millions are impacted simultaneously. Let’s look at a little, very far from exhaustive list.

• No hot water
Bathe in cold water
Many businesses closed
  • No cold water
    No bathing at all
    No toilets at all
    Many businesses closed
  • Blocked drains
    100s or 1000s impacted
    NO ONE connected can flush their toilets
    NO ONE connected can throw stuff down the drains
    All businesses connected must close
  • Sewage treatment works closed
    100,000s impacted
    NO ONE connected can flush their toilets
    NO ONE connected can throw stuff down the drains
    All businesses connected must close
  • Hospitals closed
    Plenty of deaths directly attributable
  • Food production halted
    Preparation not possible
  • Food distribution slows to crawl
Yes, the humble trades person doing their job has a massive positive impact on UK PLC and its continuation. Without those essential skills people die. Businesses & consumers need to rethink the way they treat people because if they don’t then the consequences are laid bare above.

Maybe we should start a campaign to educate the general Joe about the value of plumbing and the endless challenges we face to earn a crust. Recently I went to join in fancy smanxy place, a Gardner trimmed the hedge, the kid was having guitar lessons, the other had gone off horse riding, the cleaner was polishing the door knobs, the dietician was preparing the next meal, the ..... You get the point. The heating was on full wack. I changed a 2port motor only- in and out in under an hour and they questioned the cost?!

My existing customers who I have looked after for years are just ace , its the new ones coming through that are making the job hard , these checkatrade type sites have not helped , where they tell us what they are paying .
I have plans to change direction in the next couple of years .
If I had my time again , hair and good looks which I have neither , I would be a gigolo, my dream job .

Maybe we should start a campaign to educate the general Joe (public?)

That is exactly what I'm involved in elsewhere (see my posts elsewhere about Trade Talks & Nathan Gambling).

One of the things we ALL need to do is value ourselves, our knowledge & our abilities far more than we do. What do I mean by that? Currently most trades people let themselves be defined by how much the ill informed and the narcissistic 'wish' to pay. Most of the time that payment falls far short of the value it delivers. This then drives everything, including our self esteem down.

The reality of the job we do is that it is incredibly hard and incredibly valuable as talked about earlier. So, don't undersell yourself. Have the confidence to turn jobs down unless they pay the real value of it.

To be honest, I'd dearly love to organise a week long stoppage of all plumbing work to watch the literally catastrophic impact on society. Then the buggers might sit up & respect us. The French would do it, why haven't we the balls?

Another thing the customers don't get is that at times it's literally our lives we put on the line for them, my bl888dy knees are knackered because I'm often on them for hours at a stretch, because some clever clogs hid all the pipes in a dark corner and that's exactly where the leak is!

Businesses & consumers need to rethink the way they treat people because if they don’t then the consequences are devestating........
YES exactly! I believe in Australia the Plumbers have social status equal to brain surgeons- ok maybe a little exaggeration... but you know!! Here it's... ' that part is 20quid cheaper on the net' and labour --- well 250 a day in London is way way too much- NOT if you consider all the down time- driving to and fro in standstill traffic, the amount of time you can work physically (ok so that gives away that I'm not a spring chicken but hell who does want to work 50hour weeks anyway).. it's just gone banana's and I love my job. I love being the fixer of important things that people can't do without. Finding just the right part can take time even though I might only be on the job an hour sometimes it can take ages finding the right shower cartridge- tho' Dave has sorted that out now...
After 20 odd years in the trade sadly I'm feeling a bit jaded now

I love my job too, obviously has it's good and bad days and some customers really push your patience to the limits, but I never wake up dreading going to work, always a new place and a new job to go to, I've met many weird and wonderful characters on my travels :D. But I've only been doing this 14 years, and still not self employed. I'll update my answer in about 10 years :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Been at this since 1982, and still learn something new every day. Plumbing has changed a lot over the years, some of it good, some of it not so good (depending on your opinion) and the industry is continually evolving. Prices are coming down and competition is increasing here as more are getting into the trade, plus due to the economy and freeze on wages, few customers have five grand to throw at a bathroom now or any home improvements for that matter. Still, I'd rather be a plumber than sitting at home looking at four walls and watching Jeremy Kyle on day time television as some of my unemployed mates are forced to do. However it does take a lot out of you, especially your health. I worked with lead a few years back and had to get regular blood tests for lead poisoning, and I've inhaled just about every form of asbestos and toxic fumes going, before health and safety became stricter as it is now, plus my knees and finger joints are fecked in cold weather due to strain being put on them. I fell ten feet off a ladder three weeks ago and skelped my head off a door on the way down and ended up with yet another hospital visit. The CT scan was well let's just "interesting" as to what they found as damage sustained from over the years. Still, I would happily keep going for another ten years as a plumber if my body keeps going.

Makes me feel like the grandad of the bunch i have been strangling pipes of one sort or the other for 40 years its provided a good standard of living for myself and my family, I have been divorced though and it has taken its toll on me physically , but if I had my time again I would not choose another trade , I just couldn't do the same thing in the same work environment day in day out. Cheers kop

Reply to Is plumbing complete pants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock