Discuss Is a leak sealer ever a suitable solution for a new system? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for the detailed reply. Satisfied it was not due to ice, started before frost and building well insulated.

Followed your guidance. Leak in radiator pipe work.

I tried to find leak with a laser thermometer but as expected it was not sensitive enough to defect a leak.

Would you expect all plumbers to have a thermal camera?

A few years ago a plumber found a leak under my son‘s concrete floor with a sound detection device.

Once concrete floor was dug up in a tiny area he fixed it in 10 seconds. Previous plumber from 5 years earlier did not tighten one of several plastic joints.

thanks ColinK

you probably sorted this by now, but as a leak detection engineer i can tell you that infra red cameras only work in specific circumstances - you need heat transfer to the surface you are inspecting, so if there is any kind of cavity or complex layering between the leak and the surface you are surveying then you will struggle to pick up a heat bloom, and meanwhile you are potentially causing more damage - the best method is draining the system and running a tracer gas survey - sometimes you can actually hear the gas and water spitting out of the leak without using the gas analyser - If money is tight and you cant afford professional leak detection... and if the leak is big enough, putting your ear to the floors can let your hear it, or adding some cheap perfume to the water ( a lot of perfume ) giving it a few days and trying to smell it has worked for some people but not something i would do.

Reply to Is a leak sealer ever a suitable solution for a new system? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Back