Discuss Intermittent faults in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Im getting bleedin annoyed with em. I dont get many but when I do they are always the furthest away. I have decided to create a checklist which I will print and each one gets left at the custards until its fixed. I wil explain to the custard the nature of intermittent faults and we can only check so much before starting to swap bits out. We may even get to the end of a few visits and parts and still not find it so a new burner might be necessary, or they can choose that option at the end of Stage 1.
Below is my current procedure(ish), Id welcome any thoughts (when its finished anyone is welcome to use of course if useful). These are not necessarily in the right order:

STAGE 1.

Question 1.
Is it definitely locking out - ie you are able to restore the boiler when you push the LOCK OUT reset on the burner. (some I have had turn out to be limit stats and the custard telling you its locking out).

Question 2.
Is there any pattern you can think of, ie:

Locking out in mid program, ie when hot.
Locking out on first start up, ie when cold
Locking out when there is a frost/ strong winds

Question 3.
When you reset it, how long will it run for before locking out again?

Question 4.
When it resets, does it always fire straight away or not sometimes. If not what noises does it make?

Engineer now to check:

Oil tank/ line filter/s - if bad, clean/ replace and check pump filter if appropriate.
Dip tank with water paste on a stick.
Flow of oil from flexible at pump.
Photocell - condition and electrical test.
Coil resistance cold and running 10 mins
Capacitor - test
POC when running with and without snorkel if balanced
How does the burner sound? raspy/ smooth etc?
Check pump pressure for appropriate reading and steadiness of needle.
Check oil line for weeps/ loose fittings.
Have a look at the flue terminal if accessible/ is there a cowl if vertical.
Remove burner:
Photocell - check light is not obstructed by HT leads/ moth etc- drill 3mm hole in blast tube if necessary.
Check condition of drive coupling
How does motor feel to turn with a finger?
Check spark - remove coil lead and watch spark for arcing/ strength/ in flame path?
Check EBI & leads for physical defaults/ signs of arcing.

Replace:
Nozzle (check sintered filter for any evidence)

If any of the above is abnormal, deal with it and charge for call out and time/ parts explaining that it may well be fixed but time will tell. Personally I wont charge for the next call out if within 2 weeks (Ill charge for time on the ground but not the call out fee).

STAGE 2.
Replace control box (unless RDB), Photocell, coil
Keep old ones in the case, do not charge for any components until its all sorted.

STAGE 3.
Change pump

Stage 4.
Replace Burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my god, bunker is so up there with god, I always get the call backs to the boiler furthest away, so I might print this off and give it a go, however I might just jump to stage 4 straightway fm now on to save the hassle :)

Nice list Bunker, what about capacitor?
Thanks mate, I thought about that but usually if the cap is on its way then they often will get the dreaded bzzzzzz at reset. Worth checking though perhaps for that leaky goo out the top (God I hate that stuff). I must see if my meter does capacitors...yes worth adding to the list. Thanks

The trouble with intermittent faults is,

They're there when you're not.

And they're not there when you are.

Bunker You forgot another thing to ask the customer, - what model and type is their oil boiler?
If it is a home you have never been to before, then it really annoys me that all I get told when I ask which bolier they have, from some of the customers that ring me, is "I dunno, it's a big white thing" or, - " It's a blue thing with a red thing on the bottom" !!!
Brilliant then, that means I take every Riello burner part I have with me, a couple of different spare burners, insulation board, all types of oil pumps, all types of burner motors, all oil hoses, nozzles of all sizes, circulating pumps, time clocks, plenty of second hand stuff (just incase) etc, etc, & then I find it is not a Riello burner & just a Danfoss solenoid needed.

Last edited:
Bunker You forgot another thing to ask the customer, - what model and type is their oil boiler?
If it is a home you have never been to before, then it really annoys me that all I get told when I ask which bolier they have, from some of the customers that ring me, is "I dunno, it's a big white thing" or, - " It's a blue thing with a red thing on the bottom" !!!
Brilliant then, that means I take every Riello burner part I have with me, a couple of different spare burners, insulation board, all types of oil pumps, all types of burner motors, all oil hoses, nozzles of all sizes, circulating pumps, time clocks, plenty of second hand stuff (just incase) etc, etc, & then I find it is not a Riello burner & just a Danfoss solenoid needed.

Better looking at it than looking for it?

Completely agree. I got to drive to stroke city tomorrow to look at a burner. No details but had the caretakers number. Good job I did.

NuWay XGN 1000-25.....

It's Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig!

Better looking at it than looking for it?

Strange you saying it, because that's just what I told a friend early this evening. As we both looked into my van (embarrassingly full of stuff & a mess) I said I would prefer to know I have it in my van, as to not have most of the stuff.
Just trying to make excuses really! :smile:

Im writing from a different perspective I guess, its pretty much all I do so my van is chokerblock with every spare you can think of....and then some.

Pump vacuum test as well as pressure?
Ask if there is a deaerator fitted before you go out perhaps?

Pretty comprehensive list otherwise, I hate intermittent faults! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittent faults in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

What is the boiler flow temperature required to flag this 2965 fault code?. This, I believe, is a blocking code that trips the burner but...
Replies
Views
Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock