Discuss Installation advice for WC and awkard angle soil pipe branch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty32

Good morning

Had a friend call me to say his toilet is leaking. I had a look and the joint between the pan connector and the cast iron soil branch pipe and leaking at the bottom. its a close-coupled WC and I installed it some time ago - roughly 6 years.

Its awkward because the cast iron branch coming off the stack comes through the wall to the WC and is angeled upwards at say 10 degrees (this is a 1930's house). I installed an off-set pan connector to try and reach the cast iron soil pipe as I didn't wanna build up the floor because it'd look dreadful. I know you can't upwards because you need a fall but this was the best option which has worked fine.

I pushed the off-set pan connector into the cast iron socket as much as I could and then used plumbers mait to seal the socket around the pan connect fins.

Should I just take out the old plumbers mait and re-seal again with new or would you say the pan connector fins have perished etc?

Any ideas for future installs like this would be great.

Thanks

Mart

Maybe renew pan connector and I like to use quick set cement rather then plumbers mate. Has the pan become a little loose causing the joint to move maybe.

Thanks dave

I've checked the pan and it seems ok. Do you buy the quick set cement from screwfix/plumbers merchant as the pipe is horizontal coming out of the wall?

I normally get it from plumb centre in a 5kg bag I think... It's been a while.

My advice - throw away the plumbers mait.

The pipe comes out of the wall at an upward angle so are we saying here that I need to push the the pan connector fins in as far as possible and then cement the rest of the hole and that will be water proof? Also, how can you tell if it's 3 or 4 inch diameter? Is it the internal diameter or the outside?

Why no plumber's Mait?

Thanks gents

Mart

Why no plumber's Mait? Mart

Cause whoever invented it wants to shove it up his (or her) a*se and leave it there, worst thing ever invented, or it just gets used for all the wrong things.

New connector, clean up the inside of the cast pipe and plenty of silicon on the joint.

Theres probably a constant pool of water in the pipe because of the fall to the pan,so if customers budget allows id re-pipe it as far as the outside soil pipe

Is it possible to raise the pan so you havent got to put the offset going upwards??? Could just raise the pan using marine ply and a jigsaw.

cut the cast back flush to the wall and use long tailed pan con or multiquick and an extention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installation advice for WC and awkard angle soil pipe branch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock