Search the forum,

Discuss i need to pick your brains. wheres Simon F lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scottyblen

when it comes down to heat and calculating the amount of heat required 60 mins X 60 seconds=3,600 gives me the number of seconds in an hour right?

the book i have been reading from states "1000 joules over 1 second X 3,600 (number of seconds in one minute)

i am lost.

The amount of heat required for what? Give us a clue and you will get an answer.

i just didn't understand that part of the text in the book.

the specfic heat capacity 4.186.

lets say there is 150 lts of water the current temp of that water is 4 degres C. I want to get it 80 degres C.

so thats 150 ltrs X 4.186 X (80 - 4) = 47,720.4

47,720.4/ 3600= 13.26 KWH

Right i better find the calculator then :smile:
Q = mc⌂T
m = the mass (in this case 150 litres)
c =the specific heat capacity (water is 4.186 joules/gram (or watt/seconds))
⌂T = the temperature rise (in this case 76°)

Your mass should really be converted to grams (1 litre is a kg so needs multiplied by 1000) but don't do it here unless you want the answer in watts as it is easier and would need converting back.

so
150 x 4.186 x 76 = 47720.4
this answer is how many kw you would need to raise the temperature of 150 litres of water by 76°C in 1 second which is useless to you as you probably want to know how long it would take a 3kw immersion to do that
so
divide 47720.4 by 3(for a 3kw immersion) = 15906.8 then divide that by 60 (seconds in a minute) = 263.11 minutes to raise the temperature

Right i better find the calculator then :smile:
Q = mc⌂T
m = the mass (in this case 150 litres)
c =the specific heat capacity (water is 4.186 joules/gram (or watt/seconds))
⌂T = the temperature rise (in this case 76°)

Your mass should really be converted to grams (1 litre is a kg so needs multiplied by 1000) but don't do it here unless you want the answer in watts as it is easier and would need converting back.

so
150 x 4.186 x 76 = 47720.4
this answer is how many kw you would need to raise the temperature of 150 litres of water by 76°C in 1 second which is useless to you as you probably want to know how long it would take a 3kw immersion to do that
so
divide 47720.4 by 3(for a 3kw immersion) = 15906.8 then divide that by 60 (seconds in a minute) = 263.11 minutes to raise the temperature
you have lost your mears,or are sober LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to i need to pick your brains. wheres Simon F lol in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice please. My system has 5 Drayton Wiser TRVs. There are 8 rads over 3 storeys and a 170l unvented cylinder. One of the attic rads is in the same zone as the cylinder so just has a "dumb" TRV on it. The two bathroom rads also remain without TRVs and I...
Replies
Views
Hi, we have a Baxi Solo 15 HE condensing boiler - The wall timer for the Central Heating and Hot Water is set to OFF not via the timed on off system, yet the boiler seems to switch on approximately every 10 Mins and runs for between 30 seconds and a minute. When I say switch on, I can hear the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic Regular Gas Boiler (Gravity Fed System) new boiler and it was installed by a British Gas engineer recently, as I wanted a Gas Safe certificate with this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock