Discuss I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta weigh things up, a 20k a year job can be gotten without having to put yourself through hardship of training up as a plumber. You gotta take a hit in terms of low wages and the years you will throw at this trade. Unless you enjoy plumbing immensely there is little logical reason to make that sacrifice.
Hammers mentions bricklaying worth a think - quicker to master, quicker returns

Nothing is impossible the world is your oyster best of luck to you Ben!

Thanks, if I wanted any job though I would stay in the marines on £37k a year but I have to enjoy a job so yes I could get a job for £20k easily but I want a challenge, as long as I'm getting a wage that pays the bills extra money doesn't matter that much to me at the minute

Thanks, if I wanted any job though I would stay in the marines on £37k a year but I have to enjoy a job so yes I could get a job for £20k easily but I want a challenge, as long as I'm getting a wage that pays the bills extra money doesn't matter that much to me at the minute

It may not matter much just now ! but losing 20K a year is a lot of money when your back in civey st, I am assuming your not married, not got a mortgage, and maybe going to move back in with parents, Trying to live on £400 a week (20k) pay for accommodation , food, running a vehicle suddenly 20K is not a lot and that is if your clearing 20K, single guy earning 20K after deductions will be lucky to take home 15K

In five years you'll be a professional.
Hi all thanks for the response, to clarify I am not the kind of person to think that I could do an 18 week course and then set up a business, my plan is to get 5 years experience under my belt before I even think about that, just want a change in career and not expecting £40k a year I'd be happy with £20k - £25 and I'm sure I could get that with my attitude towards work.

HIBen
ex RN here, started plumbing in my 40s now 56 and knees failed, wrist broken and back beggared. Be very aware the short course will teach you the same as a 4 year college course, but without the ability or time to get practical experience. A 6 week placement, if it happens and lots never do wont give you a lot, so what small or large plumbing firm will want to take you on?

I did 4 years day release at college, so around 100 days training and exams so a bit more than your course but the benefit of time to put things into practice and I did that through running a property development/renovation business for myself. then I also had some rents coming in to allow me to build my customer base. No one would have taken me on locally, so my only choice was to get out there on my own, plumbing initially, then gas, followed by oil and lpg. Specializing in AGAs and rayburns was another string to my bow. So now net some £50k plus after parts/appliances removed but before fuel, and other costs. Live happily on that myself but costs of van tools etc isnt cheap.

the fact your about to be an ex cabbage head gives you a great work ethos discipline etc, but that wont get you a job, folks want experience, knowledge and skill to make you worthwhile to them. You would be best to hit BG to see if they would train you up for free. I wouldnt bother with brick layer but I wsould look at airconditioning, as my cousin is now sitting pretty on millions as he got in there as computers needed cooling, and still do.

You can probably get into plumbing if your determined but just be aware we need more kit and tools than any other trade and everything about our choice of work seems to cost more than everyone elses :)

HIBen
ex RN here, started plumbing in my 40s now 56 and knees failed, wrist broken and back beggared. Be very aware the short course will teach you the same as a 4 year college course, but without the ability or time to get practical experience. A 6 week placement, if it happens and lots never do wont give you a lot, so what small or large plumbing firm will want to take you on?

I did 4 years day release at college, so around 100 days training and exams so a bit more than your course but the benefit of time to put things into practice and I did that through running a property development/renovation business for myself. then I also had some rents coming in to allow me to build my customer base. No one would have taken me on locally, so my only choice was to get out there on my own, plumbing initially, then gas, followed by oil and lpg. Specializing in AGAs and rayburns was another string to my bow. So now net some £50k plus after parts/appliances removed but before fuel, and other costs. Live happily on that myself but costs of van tools etc isnt cheap.

the fact your about to be an ex cabbage head gives you a great work ethos discipline etc, but that wont get you a job, folks want experience, knowledge and skill to make you worthwhile to them. You would be best to hit BG to see if they would train you up for free. I wouldnt bother with brick layer but I wsould look at airconditioning, as my cousin is now sitting pretty on millions as he got in there as computers needed cooling, and still do.

You can probably get into plumbing if your determined but just be aware we need more kit and tools than any other trade and everything about our choice of work seems to cost more than everyone elses :)

Thanks for the info, everyone has to start somewhere, I will take this on board and have a look at options, I would love to go the BG route but if I don't get it then I'd be abit stuck, so need to do a course in the meantime
Thanks
Ben

A Royal Marine with no sense of humour wont make a good tradesman................

I've got a sense of humour, it's just there's a time and a place for it, that's not when someone comes on to here to get important info to make a decision on there and there family's future, I've also worked in the building trade before and got on just fine.

Air con is more expensive on start up tools (£3k will get you a basic set to attend your first job) however quicker to learn and qualify in. The challenge with air con / heat pumps is the sever lack of maintenance / fault finding courses, so you'll need to piggy back an experienced air con guy.

If starting out now I would take serious look at heat pumps / air con as the way forward. - We've already got 7 heat pumps booked in for the beginning of next year. The courses run by the big suppliers (panasonic, mistubishi, samsung and daikin) are all worth attending, you'll need a heating background first hence my comments above.

All you are interested in are the good points and knocking anybody warning you. Take off the rose tinted glasses for a start and listen to the negatives as well as the positives.

Otherwise what is the point of coming on here and asking for opinions?

You might want to make contact with one of the members on here, Armyash, he's been there through all the ups and downs and doing it for a living now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I'm about to progress from Level 2 C&G to Level 3 (starting in September): I'd always thought i would do the Level 3 Gas, as this was...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock