Search the forum,

Discuss I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIBen
ex RN here, started plumbing in my 40s now 56 and knees failed, wrist broken and back beggared. Be very aware the short course will teach you the same as a 4 year college course, but without the ability or time to get practical experience. A 6 week placement, if it happens and lots never do wont give you a lot, so what small or large plumbing firm will want to take you on?

I did 4 years day release at college, so around 100 days training and exams so a bit more than your course but the benefit of time to put things into practice and I did that through running a property development/renovation business for myself. then I also had some rents coming in to allow me to build my customer base. No one would have taken me on locally, so my only choice was to get out there on my own, plumbing initially, then gas, followed by oil and lpg. Specializing in AGAs and rayburns was another string to my bow. So now net some £50k plus after parts/appliances removed but before fuel, and other costs. Live happily on that myself but costs of van tools etc isnt cheap.

the fact your about to be an ex cabbage head gives you a great work ethos discipline etc, but that wont get you a job, folks want experience, knowledge and skill to make you worthwhile to them. You would be best to hit BG to see if they would train you up for free. I wouldnt bother with brick layer but I wsould look at airconditioning, as my cousin is now sitting pretty on millions as he got in there as computers needed cooling, and still do.

You can probably get into plumbing if your determined but just be aware we need more kit and tools than any other trade and everything about our choice of work seems to cost more than everyone elses :)

Thanks for the info, everyone has to start somewhere, I will take this on board and have a look at options, I would love to go the BG route but if I don't get it then I'd be abit stuck, so need to do a course in the meantime
Thanks
Ben

A Royal Marine with no sense of humour wont make a good tradesman................

I've got a sense of humour, it's just there's a time and a place for it, that's not when someone comes on to here to get important info to make a decision on there and there family's future, I've also worked in the building trade before and got on just fine.

Air con is more expensive on start up tools (£3k will get you a basic set to attend your first job) however quicker to learn and qualify in. The challenge with air con / heat pumps is the sever lack of maintenance / fault finding courses, so you'll need to piggy back an experienced air con guy.

If starting out now I would take serious look at heat pumps / air con as the way forward. - We've already got 7 heat pumps booked in for the beginning of next year. The courses run by the big suppliers (panasonic, mistubishi, samsung and daikin) are all worth attending, you'll need a heating background first hence my comments above.

All you are interested in are the good points and knocking anybody warning you. Take off the rose tinted glasses for a start and listen to the negatives as well as the positives.

Otherwise what is the point of coming on here and asking for opinions?

You might want to make contact with one of the members on here, Armyash, he's been there through all the ups and downs and doing it for a living now.

All you are interested in are the good points and knocking anybody warning you. Take off the rose tinted glasses for a start and listen to the negatives as well as the positives.

Otherwise what is the point of coming on here and asking for opinions?

You might want to make contact with one of the members on here, Armyash, he's been there through all the ups and downs and doing it for a living now.

As I have said, I've thanked everyone for there comments, good or bad and have taken it all on board and may take another look at my options, the only thing I have said is to someone taking the ****, anyway thanks all for the comments

Hi Ben,

welcome to the forum

i got into plumbing ay 36 I did my course at Brookhouse at the over 6 years ago. and im 44 now so let me give you the benefit of my experience.

firstly they will teach you how to work on gas safely testing ETC but in this is very different in the real world and i had been done my level 2 plumbing at college and been plumbing for 2-3 years.

secondly although not impossible but very well nearly you wont get a paying job after completing your course and getting the piece of paper to join the gas safe register as you dont have the experience.

i tried to get a job but no one interested so stayed self employed and it is only 8 years into this that now im making money and at the same time going part time as ive starting another business.

its tough in the early days and the financial investment to do it right is huge.

but if your determined you can do it but i believe it will take you a long time possibly 4-5 years before you will even get close earning to 20k a year.

most plumbing and heating firms are not interested if you dont have the experience they dont care about quals its the experience they are after and the gas safe badge. the ones that will give you chance will use you and abuse you. for very little reward on your part.
if you have the money to start up on your own i would go self employed but it aint no picnic

a friend of mine studied at a regular college got plumbing qualifications "NVQ's 2 & 3"
got a job's on new development building site's then once he had a couple of years experience he applied with British gas and they paid him while they trained him in his case hes now been working for them over ten years and is very happy
British gas may not be for everybody... however getting in with a firm of gas safe plumbers for a couple of years surely will benefit you on what you can learn from the experience tradesmen around you.
a lot of the train quick e.g 16 weeks for £XXXXX are only interested in factory farmed learning which isn't helpful in the real world

Just to add you also need a very technical and logical mindset and at the same time be very good pracitcally using your hands which is what attracted me to this job.
i also think you may struggle without getting a grounding in the wet side of plumbing. working with water looks simple but experience teaches us all it isnt

Hi all,
i am about to leave the Royal Marines next year and I am looking at getting into plumbing/gas.
i have found a course I like the look of just wanted some advise on if this is the right way to go?
it is with brookehouse training ltd and is a multi-skilled gas engineer level 3 including plumbing, central heating, gas, appliance fault finding and a guaranteed workplace in writing to build my portfolio.
qualifications gained will be BPEC water regulations (bye laws), CITB intermediate gas certificate and CITB ACS assessments.
is this enough to get a start in the industry and to become gas registered?

thanks for all replys in advance

a friend of mine studied at a regular college got plumbing qualifications "NVQ's 2 & 3"
got a job's on new development building site's then once he had a couple of years experience he applied with British gas and they paid him while they trained him in his case hes now been working for them over ten years and is very happy
British gas may not be for everybody... however getting in with a firm of gas safe plumbers for a couple of years surely will benefit you on what you can learn from the experience tradesmen around you.
a lot of the train quick e.g 16 weeks for £XXXXX are only interested in factory farmed learning which isn't helpful in the real world

You need to be prepared both mentally and financially to go self employed.
Although you may end up with all the necessary qualifications you won't be considered employable by most if not all established businesses.

You will need to be able to bankroll some serious advertising, a van, more tools than you can shake a stick at, and be able to support your family for a good couple of years before you will make a wage regularly.

The thing with gas safe is it is just that. Working sagely with gas.

Your six weeks will get you the qualification but won't teach you how any of the hundreds of thousands of different appliances work and how to determine what the fault/s are.

Also without an extensive knowledge of how systems and their components operate you will be unlikely to be able to determine whether an appliance has a fault or if the fault is down to external controls, valves or components.

That said it can be achieved with a lot of hard work and determination. But you will be highly unlikely to gain employment with anyone else because of a lack of experience.

Why not ring a few businesses up and introduce yourself and explain your plans and test the water about employment before you pay a lot of money

If you do proceed I wish you the best of luck. And my advice would be to befriend a good local engineer who you can call for advice when you need it. Approach a couple and say you have work occasionally that requires an extra pair of hands and you would like to offer it to them. Then when a job is beyond you you have someone to ring . They will take the money from the job but you keep your customer happy and gain valuable experience each time

How long have you been a boot neck?

Worst thing I have ever done in my life was leaving the RN.

My mates who stayed & did 23/24yrs are now mid 40's with a lovely pension that'll increase when they turn 55.

Me, have to work until I drop.

I wish the op all the best. He seems determined.

BG look at ex forces favourably

Maybe make enquiries with big companies.

All the best

How long have you been a boot neck?

Worst thing I have ever done in my life was leaving the RN.

My mates who stayed & did 23/24yrs are now mid 40's with a lovely pension that'll increase when they turn 55.

Me, have to work until I drop.

I wish the op all the best. He seems determined.

BG look at ex forces favourably

Maybe make enquiries with big companies.

All the best

Hi, I have been in 13 years now, I know the pension used to be great but it's not that good now, and I cannot see myself doing another 9 years to get it mate. I am definitely going to try BG and maybe forget about the gas course and do a cheaper plumbing course now as I think BG train you for free? Not sure what to do 100% now need a good think over the holidays

Yeah, no rush. Do what's right for you. You don't want to waste money. Apply to the big companies. Make sure you're happy no1.

All the best

hi Ben another thing to consider contact the boiler manufactures and ask about training has a service engineer, everything is provided tools, van, clothing and quite a good wage, whish I had done it years back , semi retired now so to old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I am looking at doing a plumbing heating and gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock