Search the forum,

Discuss How to tell if I have a primatic cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeonR

Hi all,

Our house was built in the early 70's and we have a Ideal Mexico 2 boiler.

I can't see any 3 way valve on the system and I was wondering how I can tell if the cylinder has a coil in it?

The reason this has come about is because I tried to drain the CH heating system previously , however hot water was coming out of the valve (Heating was off for hours, I know it's the correct valve as it's under the radiator microbore manifold).
I turned off the hot water and then used all of the hot water up so the cylinder refilled with cold water, my theory was that it would cool the coil down (if it has a coil?!) and that did work.

Is it just that the coil in the cylinder uses the same piping as the heating, or does it mean I might have a primatic cylinder?

There are 4 pipes coming out of the boiler, from memory 2 are slightly larger than the others, there is also an electric pump for the heating, header tank, water tank, boiler downstairs and cylinder is upstairs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy to post a picture if it helps.

Thanks,
Leon

If you have a small expansion tank, then it's a conventional open vented system.
You should be able to see a vent pipe which often goes into top of expansion tank and a feed pipe which might connect to the return pipe at coil to hot cylinder
Welcome to the forum

Thanks best!!

Yes the expansion tank is smallish, 1 feed from it and 1 pipe points into the top for expansion.

So is it possible to have a system without an electronic valve which runs heating and hot water on a coil cylinder?

I assume they are not very efficient as they would still be designed this way if not?

Thanks again!

Yes Leon, it was very standard practice to do boilers in an open vented system and with 2 gravity primaries (often 28mm or old 1") with vent and feed on them solely for the hot water cylinder circuit and 2 pumped pipes for the rads all coming from a 4 connection boiler.
Not allowed nowadays as deemed too slow for heat build up, but was decent if done really well.
Solid fuel boilers are often still done this way and is allowed

If you have 2 tanks in the loft, 1 big and 1 small then it shouldn't be a primatic cylinder. A primatic cylinder doesn't have a separate tank for the heating.
If you are draining the hot water cylinder through the central heating that would suggest you may have a leak on the coil?

Thanks for the quick replies everybody, I really appreciate it!

I drained it down today so I could add the chemical cleaner, I did it using common sense and various youtube videos.

1.) tied up ball valve (the shutoff valve looked old and like it might just break)
2.) turned off hot water and heating
3.) drained from lowest point drain valve
4.) let air in rads and tightened bleed valve
5.) refilled tank and let it flow through and out the hose for 10 mins
6.) added cleaner to the header tank
7.) bled radiators and let a bit more out the drain valve
8.) switched everything back on

Seems to be working, I was afraid of an airlock when refilling.

SmokeyJ I probably wasn't too clear in how I explained the scenario, I think what was happening was that the CH drain valve shares the same piping as the coil, and if the cylinder has hot water in it then it heats the water that's is in the coil and comes out the same drain valve and burns me, that's why I had to use all the hot water first (to keep the coil cool), at least that's what I think was happening!

IMG_1863.JPG

That's a picture of the plumbing if anybody is interested, not sure why it's on it's side (two of those pipes join each other above the top shelf).

Thanks for your help everybody!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to tell if I have a primatic cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock