Discuss How do I mitigate the risk that the next guy (3rd time hopefully) is not a rougue?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigandybear

What checks (formal or informal) can I do against a tradesman / plumber (typically an OMB or an independant) to verify capability and also how can I make them accountable (if any) to a higher body / imposing body.

In short, I engaged a plumber to redo my bathroom, a very pleasant hardworking chap who was a referal from my best friend - on the face of it did a splendid job. within weeks, there were problems and after calling him back half a dozen times (each time I called he had a litanny of excuses as to why it would be a week or two before he could sort out my problem), I decided to cut my losses and try someone else. I googled plumber, was taken to the yellow pages and the first link was the number of a business, which had a shop and was VAT registered. Spoke with him and then engaged him with the two specific remits - 1) money is no object and 2) sort out all the problems.
A firm in Cradley was the tradesman I used, and I have to say, they have devastated my house. On first inspect, they inspected the "botched jobs" and quoted a solution. I agreed, stressing again, that "money was no object". they, did the work and finally everything was done.

Days later the celiing in the living room started to leak. they simply looked at the leak (tilting his head upwards), drew a circle around the leak and then suggested we wait a couple of weeks to see if it grew bigger. It grew bigger. Only on this next ocassion did they check the shower plate when he visited - it was cracked and needed a new one. I was relieved because they gave me a 25 year guarentee on the shower plate, written down in guarentee form. Could get him to fit the new one??? No chance!!!

It was weeks and weeks before they finally fitted the newhower plate, quoting an array of reasons as to why the shower plate had not yet arrived including.

1) The Manufacturer has to write to me first of all
2) The manufacturer has to come out and inspect the faulty plate
3) I broke the plate because I was too heavy
4) I coukld not contact the manufacturer directly
5) If I contacted the manufactuer directly, they would get in trouble?
6) Replacing show plates (the bit you stand in) is not a priority to the Manufacturer
7) Its took 2 days to get the original shower plate, this is because to the manufacturer I was a paying customer
8) when enacting the guarentee, I am not a prioity to the manufacturer
9) My installerdidnt use the guarentee, instead, paid for it outr of his own pocket?
10)They said I cant get a new gaurentee?

Last week, they finally fitted the new shower plate, on the tuesday. On the friday morning, the ceiling leaked badly. On the friday afternoon, the celining above the bathroom craked and half the ceiling came crashing down revealing a network of what I can only say is messy pipes, dripy leaks, rotten wood and, flabbergastingly, the shower plate was balanced on four thin slats of wood????

I called the plumber, he denied that any of the errors were his responsibility, and said any problems were my fault!!!

I trust yelow pages, I trust google??

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How do I mitigate the risk that the next guy (3rd time hopefully) is not a rougue

I presume this will shortly be edited to remove the 25 times you mention the company name since they are not being invited to give their side of the story. There are always two sides. In my view you can be as slanderous and defamatory as you like as long as people aren't identified by name.

As to how you mitigate the risk, you go by recommendation. It is not full-proof - nothing is. Perhaps the recommendation you got was from a friend who didn't use the first guy for anything like as extensive or difficult a job? Or maybe your friend got lucky? But recommendation remains the best way. Absolutely anyone can get in the yellow pages, open a shop and register for VAT. All your vetting there is how much cash they've got. And cowboys are often more minted then genuine tradesmen.

I should add I'm sorry to hear about your problems. It can be a huge stress and nightmare this kind of thing. I hope you get it sorted. May I suggest you mention your area and maybe we can all recommend someone off here. There are some highly respected and trusted guys on here.

Last edited:
Re: How do I mitigate the risk that the next guy (3rd time hopefully) is not a rougue

As said sorry to hear what has happened to you,you were right to go by recommendation in the first place

What were the original problems ?

There is no reason to trust yellow pages,google or any of the web sites pretending to vet tradesmen,as long as they can afford to pay for the advert ,commission they have to pay per job or know how to get to the top of search engine rankings thats all it shows,they could be anybody

No good keep saying''money is no object'',if they can not do the job ,it does not matter how much you throw at them ,you will end up with rubbish work,just get an inflated bill

As said ,there are to sides to every story ,so please do not name drop in the manor you did,thank you

imho

Last edited by a moderator:

This is disgusting.

The guy should of investigated the leak, not just drew around it, what did he think? customer was imagining it?

I would firstly advice on your steps now,
1. did original plumber offer guarantee, (have you got proof of this)
2. take photos of work, make sure you keep all eveidence, receipts, i.e.
3. speak to trading standards about original plumber
4. speak to shower manufacturer and find out what is covered under guarantee.
5. find out if plumber is insured and try to find out insurance details.
6. speak to a solicitor

The plumber should be insured, so claim on his insurance not yours, if money is no object as you say then take him to court if he does not pay for work.

Now what to do about house,
1. Get 10 quotes from plumbers,
2. check experience and qualifications, ask where they got qualifications, college or training centre
3. Get references and check them, don't think just because they supplied them then it must be fine.
4. Ask to see insurance details and say you will need a copy, should they be employed
5. Get a contract written up, saying that you will only pay 30 days after completion
6. When work is completed check every day for leaks, underneath bath, i.e.

Chances are you will be left with 1 or 2 plumbers after all that. And if you don't feel comfortable with these plumbers, go through the process again.

This is only reccomended for you as you have had bad experience, unfortuanately. May I say that not all plumbers are like this. Most plumbers are legitimate.

You will be in for a long battle to fix all this and claim your money, perhaps get a plumber to disconnect the shower until you have got it sorted out.

It is very rare for reccomendations to go wrong, but obviously friend is recommending on his experience, not on the next experience.

I think the original plumber should be named and shamed, he has clearly ignored customer and not helped at all, but I don't make the rules.

If you state "money is no object", you're asking for trouble IMO! That aside, it sounds like you've just been unlucky and picked a cowboy at random. As stated above, recommendations are definitely the best way to find tradesmen. Speak to friends in the pub, at work or wherever and you should be able to find someone capable and trustworthy.

Thanks - How do I go about finding the details from the plumber re: making a claim against his insurance? DO i have to request this information or is it freely available? Is he bound to formally provide this information.

As for stating money was no object, I did support that statement by saying quite clearly that I am not an expert - I dont know what the problem is, only that there is a problem and what I did state to the installer was that I needed him to Diagnose and the remedy my problems -what ever they were, and I didnt want him to offer me cheaper, less quality solutions based on cost. I wanted him to a) provide the best solution and b) do the work and c) remove all problems!.... I didnt just say heres a blanck cheque, fill your boots.!

You may not have said it but that's what he heard! You could try phoning him and asking who he is insured by, although he may be in the saloon drinking sarsperella with his mobile off. Citizens advice would be my first port of call

yeah there is nothing telling him he has to give it to you or even that he has to have insurance, but worth a try. some people have insurance details on website, not many though.

basically he heard, money isnt no object, be greatful that he hasn't turned around and said, ooh, new boiler, new heating, new bathroom, i.e. and kept adding more.

Where are you BigAndyBear?

Near wolverhampton.

Alas, I am naieve, not a mug! all thoughts, suggestions welcome non the less

use a large plumbing firm, they are expensive for one off jobs but you have, like many larger companies more come back

this is by no means fool proof but should give you piece of mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I mitigate the risk that the next guy (3rd time hopefully) is not a rougue?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Y plan open vent system, boiler 30+ years old, and requires replacement. My plumber is recommending fitting a new Viessmann 11kw...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all. Apologies if this is not the right forum to post my question. I recently purchased a house which had water leaking from the shower tray...
Replies
Views
I wanted to start a new more dedicated thread as I am on about 3 just now in one way or another trying to get up to speed with my problem. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock