Search the forum,

Discuss Leaks - Coincidence or bad workmanship? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC.

Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking from the en-suite down into the reception room and the fitter promptly came and repaired it, it was something to do with the area under the sink. We can't remember if he said something was loose or if a fitting had failed. Although, he mentioned that he used some well known brand for his fittings as they have a lower failure rate.

The WC only started being used a year ago and we've already noticed some dark staining on the wall just above the ground, next to the toilet. If you imagine the area where skirting board would usually be. We can see some dried water underneath the toilet too so we think there may be a suspected leak somewhere, the fitter is going to come round to look at this.

To top this off, we've also noticed a leak coming from the same en-suite although in a different area this time, but we do hear dripping downstairs when we use the same sink.

It makes me wonder, is this bad workmanship or is this expected with new bathroom renovations? If the fittings used are as good as the plumber said, they should not be failing at this rate. I will try to find out which brand he said he used. I appreciate it has been 2 years for these recent leaks, however they may have been there for a while and we only noticed now. Also, the WC has only been used for a year and we've only noticed it now because of the staining on the wall, so it may have been leaking for some time. Same with the en-suite, the water mark on the ceiling is very fade, so it could have been going on for some time and we only just noticed.

We’ve contacted the tradesman who’d originally arranged for all of the different tradesmen to work on our house and he’s advised that he will ask the plumber to come back, although he said we’ll probably have to pay for it as the plumbers warranty only covers 1 year. This doesn’t seem right to me because I feel like we’ll be doing multiple repairs per year at this rate as something is always going wrong, not to mention the damage to the house/decorating which constantly will need to be rectified.

The plumber does have around 20+ years of experience, so I can't imagine him to have made this many mistakes. Although, while we can't see his plumbing, we can see the finishing such as the silicone/sealant and it was all done poorly and we had to take it off and re-do it as there were gaps.

Last edited:
It could be fittings but also could be the plumber would need to know what’s leaking and pictures before a repair to advise either way

Reply to Leaks - Coincidence or bad workmanship? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock