Discuss Honeywell motorised valve not working correctly? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Honeywell value (V4073A1039) which doesn't seem to be operating correctly, basically not opening when using heating and not closing when using water. The issues is shown in this video.....

Is it new? Has it always been like that? Seems like it might be motor failure or wired wrong.
No it's not new. Not sure if it's always been like that only been in the house since December but just got around to looking at it now as I was sure it wasn't acting correctly.

Can it actually be wired up incorrectly??, As I haven't look properly but I was under the understanding that there's only 5 wire's, earth, neutral, live and then the 2 signal wire's???. But I thought it doesn't matter which way the signal wire's go???

Also even when I turn the water or heating off the motor is still active and keeping the valve open as I need to turn the power off to the control panel and once I do that I hear the motor realising the valve, so it seems that the control panel is still sending a signal to the motor to keep the valve open even when I turn the heating and water off

The valve is not operational when only hot water is required. The boiler is turned on by the HW cylinder thermostat.

If only CH was the last call, the valve will remain in the CH only position. This is "feature" of the V4073A valve. The valve only uses 6 Watt, which is insignificant, though it will get warm. Calling for HW or turning the power off will reset the valve to the default HW only position.

The diagrams below show the various states of the valve

(Better pics in my next post)

Attachments

• Mid pos -1.jpg
    Mid pos -1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Mid pos -2.jpg
    Mid pos -2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The valve is not operational when only hot water is required. The boiler is turned on by the HW cylinder thermostat.

If only CH was the last call, the valve will remain in the CH only position. This is "feature" of the V4073A valve. The valve only uses 6 Watt, which is insignificant, though it will get warm. Calling for HW or turning the power off will reset the valve to the default HW only position.

The diagrams below show the various states of the valve

Oh, so it appears its all working correctly then?

So if i ask for CH its normal for the motor not to move at all, as the default position of the valve is for the CH and so doesn't need to send power to the motor to move the valve as its already in the default open position for CH?

But why if i ask for HW the motor activates but when i turn the HW off the motor doesn't move the valve back to the default position which is for CH?, surely the motor should activate (be it to open or close the valve) again once i turn the HW off??

Last edited:

Im useless with electrical diagrams sadly, could well as be hieroglyphics to me 🤣

But from my very limited knowledge, the default valve position should be for HW not CH right?.

So when i get home and i power on the Control panel again the motor should not move at all even when i turn the HW on?? but it should move if i turn the HW off and turn the CH on, right?

Reply to Honeywell motorised valve not working correctly? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't...
Replies
Views
I have tried hard to get similar to the first class satchwqell /Sunvic SML type revolving type valves instead of the quite short lived spring...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock