Discuss Hercules Direct Copper (IMI Range) Immersion heater went bang in the night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maggie

Dear Forum

Economy 7 immersion heater went bang in the night. It is an Hercules Dirrect Copper Cylinder IMI Range with two switches (it is about 20 years old) one at the bottom and one at the top. I have the bottom one switched on all the time as it stores during the night. I still have hot water at the moment and it is very hot. Shall I switch off both switches and wait for the water to cool and see if I can use the top switch (the boost switch) until I have it checked? I also have a power shower fitted. Will this be affected by the dodgy immersion heater?

Also for the past few months I hear load banging noises which seem to come from the loft or the immersion heater. It's sounds as though something is going to explod.

I live in Milton keynes and have a one bedroom house which is all electric. I also have an old style electricity box which uses wires in the kitchen.

It would be helpful if anyone knows of a trustworthy plumber/electrician in my area.

Not sure whether this information makes sense or not.

Thank you.

Hi & welcome to the forum, yes it just about makes sense except the bit about wires in the kitchen. You do need to get someone in to get it all checked out, it is likely the main (bottom) element has blown & will need replacing. The top boost one will only give you a small amount of hot water unlikely to be enough for anything other than the quickest power shower.
You should switch & leave on the boost & switch off the lower, then see if you still have hot water tomorrow.

Last edited:
consumer unit and fuse wires. wouldnt be a bad thing to have a sparky check your electrics esp if you have a power shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hercules Direct Copper (IMI Range) Immersion heater went bang in the night in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock