Discuss Help with soldered joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldering reminds me of the old days when we where required to wipe or sweat lead joints.

It was great fun when you soldered brass tails into the lead upside down. The heat left the two different metals at different rates and so the solder could run all over the place or not even stick. Another good one was sweating a brass tail into thin wall gas pipe.

The thing is of course on repair work you did it so often you never really thought about it.

I learnt a sort of Highland dancing do soldering!!

Its surprising what you can do if a piece of molten solder goes down your boot neck. :) :)

Its surprising what you can do if a piece of molten solder goes down your boot neck. :) :)

That brings back bad memories..... at college back in about 1980 gas welding a pipe, molten steel dropped in my boot and stuck to my sock and skin.:mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek:

Just use some cuprafit (copper pushfit) - wont notice the difference, Thats if you are wary.

I have had to dig my concrete floor up as the radiator pipe was leaking water
where it was meant to be soldered
i have been trying to solder a 15mm pipe onto the tee joint but it won't solder as the solder just falls off
anybody on here got any advice please?

Seriously, get a plumber in. You've saved yourself money by exposing it, now get the job done professionally.

Chances are it's because water is still in the pipe work but as Mike said get a pro round as it's probably leaked due to corrosion and that needs preventing from happening again befor it's all sceeded back in

add the flux near to the edge using a capillary action (that means circular).

This is not true. Capillary action is the scientific phenomenon which draws the solder into the fitting. That and the flux. Same can be said for hair and water. It's basically the attraction between a solid and a fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with soldered joints in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Sorry about the length of the question! Hi, I am a newbie to the forum and plumbing and really hope this isn't a stupid question or in the...
Replies
Views
W
I have a Triton T80xr electric shower (approx 5 years old). 4 months ago I successfully replaced the stabiliser valve and solenoid assembly after...
Replies
Views
mountainman
M
Y
Hi all, I've just bought two 22mm copper push-fit (type 2) flexible tap connectors with integral isolation valves, which I have fitted to a new...
Replies
Views
jaybob
J
W
I'm only a keen DIYer, but I like to use copper and solder fittings wherever I can. However, as I don't have massive experience, I have had a few...
Replies
Views
moony
M
E
I have not soldered pipes for 30 odd years. I have some soldered joints to do' I did a few test peices - no problem. Reheated and stripped to...
Replies
Views
easyt
E
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock