Search the forum,

Discuss help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sleevydawg

Hi Everyone, Please help... im wanting to change career and become a plumbing and heating engineer. Im in full time employment and cant afford to and am too old to be an apprentice, im looking at doing distance courses, buy im unsure about qualifications that I would gain and they are ok in the industry. I have basic knowledge of plumbing and heating and have the confidence to tackle most related jobs around the home. please advise....thanks guys and gals

Extremely hard to break into if you have to have a full wage all the time.

As a newbie you would struggle to demand a wage to support yourself.
Most employers wouldn't gamble that on you and you can't exactly blame them.

you could go self employed but with lack of experience you can be in a world of pain.

with a full time job you can't say you will pop back in the mornings either.

before you commit to a wonder course offer yourself as free labour to local plumbers on your days off.
slightly different ballgame when you are doing it at a trade level.

I was in the same position as you. I've taken the course and passed it (while working) but the course is only the C&G. To get the NVQ2 you need to find work yourself and have verifiers come and sign it off. I am attempting to find work with just the C&G but it's difficult unless you have money to advertise yourself (which I don't).

I had a large job March 2013 so I left work and went self-employed - I don't regret that one bit - however work has been slow as I haven't got the experience/confidence to take on all the jobs so I'm looking for work as a plumbers mate.

All companies now require a CSCS card, which you need an NVQ2 to qualify for... so in other words you can't get work without an NVQ2, and you can't get an NVQ2 without work. You have to be really lucky to find the jobs or have enough money to advertise yourself or have the connections where people will give you the work.

I have a missus and kid to maintain so I can't be sitting around doing nothing. Half my work so far is decorating. It's not ideal seeing as I've put so much effort into getting a plumbing qualification but I have to pay the bills or not eat. Unless you have the savings to take a few months of no work I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock