Search the forum,

Discuss help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sleevydawg

Hi Everyone, Please help... im wanting to change career and become a plumbing and heating engineer. Im in full time employment and cant afford to and am too old to be an apprentice, im looking at doing distance courses, buy im unsure about qualifications that I would gain and they are ok in the industry. I have basic knowledge of plumbing and heating and have the confidence to tackle most related jobs around the home. please advise....thanks guys and gals

Extremely hard to break into if you have to have a full wage all the time.

As a newbie you would struggle to demand a wage to support yourself.
Most employers wouldn't gamble that on you and you can't exactly blame them.

you could go self employed but with lack of experience you can be in a world of pain.

with a full time job you can't say you will pop back in the mornings either.

before you commit to a wonder course offer yourself as free labour to local plumbers on your days off.
slightly different ballgame when you are doing it at a trade level.

I was in the same position as you. I've taken the course and passed it (while working) but the course is only the C&G. To get the NVQ2 you need to find work yourself and have verifiers come and sign it off. I am attempting to find work with just the C&G but it's difficult unless you have money to advertise yourself (which I don't).

I had a large job March 2013 so I left work and went self-employed - I don't regret that one bit - however work has been slow as I haven't got the experience/confidence to take on all the jobs so I'm looking for work as a plumbers mate.

All companies now require a CSCS card, which you need an NVQ2 to qualify for... so in other words you can't get work without an NVQ2, and you can't get an NVQ2 without work. You have to be really lucky to find the jobs or have enough money to advertise yourself or have the connections where people will give you the work.

I have a missus and kid to maintain so I can't be sitting around doing nothing. Half my work so far is decorating. It's not ideal seeing as I've put so much effort into getting a plumbing qualification but I have to pay the bills or not eat. Unless you have the savings to take a few months of no work I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered ÂŁ32,732- ÂŁ39,096 per annum plus an additional ÂŁ2,500 Recruitment and Retention Premium and relocation funding if needed We are looking to recruit Lecturers in Plumbing to deliver...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Im looking to come to Australia in january/febuary 2024. I have a working holiday visa already sorted. I run my own plumbing and heating company that has been going for 3 years but i have been plumbing for 10 years. i also have my gas qualification. Im giving up everything to come to...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical marine engineering and realistically i have no issues tracing systems and working out whats what. the dream is to leave the forces and become self...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, New here & my first post! I have a Worcester greenstar 24i, it is a conventional boiler, it has a water tank upstairs. For the past year the hot water when turned on was intermittent. I repressurised the expansion vessel to 1 bar and the hot water switch when turned on worked...
Replies
Views
Hi all, please could anyone help me with the following issue im having. I will start off with listing the scenario in case it helps. Boiler - Ideal Icos. Property - 4 bed System age - around 16 yrs. I have a problem in my en-suite, whereby i am unable to get the towel rail to heat up - this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock