Discuss Help please its driving me mad! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so are you suggesting a pressure reducing valve is the answer or will that just be the same as closing my stop tap to get rid of the bang as that doesn't give me enough supply to make the shower usable.

Shutting the stopcock will have no effect on the pressure. It will only affect flow rate.

Shutting the stopcock will have no effect on the pressure. It will only affect flow rate.

Yes that makes sense thanks, so is prv what your suggesting?

Shock arrestors have been suggested but as I uderstand it I will need to fit to all offending toilets etc, is that correct or can one be fitted somewhere.

Yes that makes sense thanks, so is prv what your suggesting?

Shock arrestors have been suggested but as I uderstand it I will need to fit to all offending toilets etc, is that correct or can one be fitted somewhere.

If you want a single whole-house solution, try a PRV.

In theory you could fit a single shock arrestor near the banging pipe, but if you can locate and access the pipe to fit an arrestor, you may as well clip it properly and not need an arrestor.

Or - you could methodically isolate and test to find which appliance/tap is wearing out and causing the hammer in the first place.

Thanks I will give the latter ago first tomorrow and if that fails try prv as one arrestor isn't an option as I can't access the pipe work making the noise.

I'm a newb. Don't shoot me.

Would a single shock arrester after the stopcock work? On the grounds that it would give the water somewhere to expand to.

Looks fine, set it to 3.0 bar and trial form there
I've gone ahead and fitted the prv, my water pressure was showing 2.5bar once fitted and I've slowly wound it in to 2-2.2bar and bang has gone at last and I still appear to have plenty of flow and pressure at my showers etc. I've only just fitted it so time will tell if all stays good. I have no idea what the pressure has been in the past but maybe it has increased of late by a repair externally as suggested.

Thanks for the help guys and I'll update in a few weeks to let you know if all is still good!

Cheers.

Didn't last later that day the bang was back! Not sure if the PRV is faulty though. Set at 2bar with stopcock fully open and taps etc closed, same evening it was reading 3.5bar and the next morning it was reading 1.5bar and no flow at the shower. Set again at 2bar and it was varying between 2.5-1.8bar through out the day. Tonight it was reading 3bar and now is back to 2bar, have I done something wrong or is it faulty?

no all that is happening is that at different times of the day there is differing demand on the mains i.e. over night there will be less demand so pressure rises and during the day there is more demand so pressure will be lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help please its driving me mad! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock