Discuss Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

Thanks diamondgas. .... he said my cylinder keeps generating air to the whole system because of damages in the coil so it cannot be properly solved unless the cylinder is replaced. ...

Thanks again,

That is absolute ball cocks IMHO :) It sounds like you have circulation problems most likely associated with the configuration you show in your pictures. As Danny suggests, get a second opinion. Without checking the functionality of your pump and valve it's difficult to give advice. One thing to consider and maybe discuss with an 'expert' would be sealing the heating system or at least combining the feed and vent to overcome the possibility of air ingress. Depending on the state of the system will determine whether any further work such as a flush would benefit your system? As mentioned, put up a request on here and at least you can check out to some degree the person's credentials before contacting them ... [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

Just put a combi in

Many thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I will ask for a plumber here :)

What are the regulations on service valves on heating cold feeds? And I know it's wrong as a few of you have mentioned but why is it wrong? Because most heating systems have gate valves on the cold feed just not as close to the f and e tank.

I came across a double check valve on the (15mm) vent pipe of a F&E cistern recently signed off by a building inspector!!!

If not already mentioned, OP your water level in the cistern may be too high. When cold the fill valve should shut off when the water level is about 10cm. Too high and there's not enough room left for water expansion and it will overflow and top up with fresh when cool, causing rapid corrosion.

If you have overpumping, I would recommend conversion to a sealed system if it is appropriate and suitable for your circuit.

Last edited:

My guess would be the valve was thrown in for a power flush. coupled with push fit 22mm stop end on vent pipe seals the system temporarily for flushing. not a great idea to leave the valve attached just in case somebody decides to close it off though...doh!

What are the regulations on service valves on heating cold feeds? And I know it's wrong as a few of you have mentioned but why is it wrong? Because most heating systems have gate valves on the cold feed just not as close to the f and e tank.

There should be no valves between the boiler and the F&E tank to ensure that there is an uninterrupted path to allow for the expansion of heated water. If the valve is inadvertently closed the expansion will take place up the open vent and may spill over into the F&E tank. This will lead to a reduction in the volume of water in the system and can lead to overheating. It's arguably less important with modern boilers as they have an overheat stat but they can still be damaged. On older boilers with no overheat stat it can lead to water within the system boiling.

Think of the cold feed and F&E tank as being equivalent to the expansion vessel on a sealed system. Shutting the cold feed off is like fitting a sealed system with no expansion vessel.

Cheers mike Christ iv seen so many systems with gate valves on the cold feed.

When I power flush I tend to plug the tank with a rubber bung like this:
class.thumbnail.jpg

Not cheap, but won't blow out. I then wet vac out the tank so I don't draw any sludge from inside down the cold feed.

You buy them from Today's tools. Had mine for years.

Here's one link:

Squeeze and Fix Repair Sets - Buyriteuk.com - BuyriteUK

Pricey for what they are though. I didn't pay that much for them.

The jet swet ones look very good. They look like they'll fit through the tank connectors with the projections on the inside.

The jet swet ones look very good. They look like they'll fit through the tank connectors with the projections on the inside.

They do look good but they're really expensive!

My guess is that because this is such a low head system, that its had pumping over problems, so somone has turned the pump down to its lowest setting to prevent pumping over. The draw back to this, is that now there is not enough circulation to get round the radiators.

Best solution is do away with the F&E cistern and convert it to a sealed system with expansion vessel, PRV, Pressure gauge and filling loop.

My guess is that because this is such a low head system, that its had pumping over problems, so somone has turned the pump down to its lowest setting to prevent pumping over. The draw back to this, is that now there is not enough circulation to get round the radiators.

Best solution is do away with the F&E cistern and convert it to a sealed system with expansion vessel, PRV, Pressure gauge and filling loop.

Yeah you could be on to something there.

It could also lead to a world of hurt on an old system.

Upgrade the feed to 22mm and have a combined feed/vent pipe.

Or move the pump?

Needs looking at and sorting properly.

You could seal the system but doesn't have to be at 1 bar static pressure, could be lower to prevent straining the old system (if that's your concern).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back