Discuss Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

Dear all,

Thought I should update this thread. First of all, the system is fully working now so I am very happy about it.

I will explain what happened:

I called a plumber in and we decided to replace hot water cylinder first. After removing the immersion heater, we found a serious pinhole leak (should not be called pinhole at this point) at around the coil joint connecting to the water flow pipe. After replacing the cylinder, we tested the system and found it still took very long to heat up. We then checked some pipes near the boiler and discovered that some sections were clogged with red mud like rusts and debris. We tested the circulation with power flush pump and found it worked so we decided to clean the boiler and do power flush (I live in a very hard water area). During the cleaning and flush process, I saw brow mud like dirts coming out from the boiler and dark water from the pipes which indicated how bad the system was. The plumber told me this was the worst 3 year old boiler he had ever seen. After the cleaning was done, all sorted! :) He also told me that the only explanation about the dirty system is that when previous owner refurbished the whole flat, he did not replace all pipes and do a proper power flush.

Anyway, thanks again for alll of your input and I have learnt so much from your replies.

Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion t

Thanks for the update. Sounds like an amateur install to me.

Re: Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tan

That's great. Glad you got away with power flushing the micro bore, some companies won't do a power flush on micro bore because they end up with a sprinkler system. So all's well that ends well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed to understand the purpose of another pipe and valve for expansion tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi, would be extremely grateful for any advice on the following. I'm installing a bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) in my summer house. It has...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked...
Replies
Views
Back