Currently reading:
Hello everyone

Discuss Hello everyone in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott-Plumb

Hi everyone

I just wanted to post a thread introducing myself. My name is Craig, I'm 31 years old and live near Glasgow. I am currently a marketing manager but looking to re-train and start a new career as a plumber.

When I left school (many moons ago) I did the whole uni degree route and have work in an office for over 10 years now but I have always wanted to do something more hands on and practical for a living. My plumbing experience is probably at a decent DIY level at the moment but I am doing an evening class at college to gain some practical experience and a home study distant learning course to try and nail down a bit of the theory side. Although neither of these courses will give me an industry-recognised qualification I think it's a good way to test the water (pardon the pun :)) to see if a career in plumbing is for me.

I have looked at the OLCI and Train4Trade Skill type courses as this appears to be the only route (other thank buying a plumbing franchise) into the industry for older people who want to re-train, although I appreciate that the City & Guild Qualification offered by these courses is only a stepping stone to getting the SVQ required to be a full qualified plumber.

I have also been out on a few jobs with a local plumber to try and get more hands on experience but it's difficult trying to fit this, college and home study all around my exisiting job and family - that said, I am very determined to give this a go and my long term aim is to hopefully start up my own company once I have some more experience and qualifications behind me.

I joined the forum to hopefully get some good career advice and guidance from seaoned plumbers as well as others who may be in the same situation as me, but also to make some new friends and contacts in the industry, so any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received.
(and if you ever want any free marketing advice I'd be glad to help ;))

All the best

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello everyone in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock