Currently reading:
heat mat - daft question

Discuss heat mat - daft question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dom brennan

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi all got my self my first heat mat today a rothenburg one.
the question is do you wet them or use them dry one plumber says wet them another says keep them dry otherwise you wash the oil off which keeps them from being heat proof.
used it once dry today and its black already.

Wipe flux off otherwise it just turns into a smoking mess.

The heat mat very rarely comes out of the van for me tbh. Unless a pipe is in a corner or within 5mm or so of a wall/joist I don't bother with them. They aren't very good tbh.

I tend not to use my heat mat unless im feeling hot baby

My heat mat is a 6'' square of thin aluminium , solder doesn't stick to it, scrape old flux off , works a treat.

Just as it is works well,,
Don't know how many heat pads I've went through , still trying to find that brilliant one, and I think I've tried all the makes , they Frey and hole, the padded ones , well the padding moves inside making it hard to get round back of pipes,
Anyone got one that's long lasting ?.. I've tried Rothenberger , monument, regin and unbranded ones,

Just as it is works well,,
Don't know how many heat pads I've went through , still trying to find that brilliant one, and I think I've tried all the makes , they Frey and hole, the padded ones , well the padding moves inside making it hard to get round back of pipes,
Anyone got one that's long lasting ?.. I've tried Rothenberger , monument, regin and unbranded ones,

Totally agree with this

As for them unbranded ones I forget who they are made by when I go in to buy another one.........lol

I buy the so call expensive one (that has a cut with hole in middle so can easily be fitted around pipes, but I go through them like knife through butter. Customer is paying for consumables, so no worries

Rarely use it as in most cases its dropping to bits. Makes more mess than anything else. Just use a bit of steel I cut off the back of an old washing machine. The flue knockouts on the oil boilers are good as well.

Was expecting something ceramic and spectacular from space shuttle by now ,

Nothing in my price range !

( Non stick alloy pans have handles ... but looks too Heath_Robinson to be cool )

Wonder what happened to those shuttle heat tiles that dropped off. Should have used Gripfill!

Dickie Dyer Burn Barrier for me.

I think that's the one I use. I don't use it very often just in tight corners etc where it would be impossible not to scorch something.

The black padded ones are useless and mark everything they touch. They also burn through very quickly.

The old boy who taught me had the same one for years.

Uncle works on an oil refinery. Asked him to get me some fire proof material. He brought me a big sheet of the stuff. Think it came from a welder. That was nearly 10year ago, never needed to buy a heat mat since. I very rarely use it. Normally just use off cuts of ceramic tiles or.... anything i can get my hands on at any given time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to heat mat - daft question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back