Discuss Guttering guidelines? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimH

Hope someone can help - Is there guidelines regarding the length of drop off from a slate roof to the guttering (plastic)? For the second year running, every house in our scheme has had their guttering ripped apart with snow sliding off. I realise this might be inevitable depending on how severe the weather is, but wondered what the maximum drop was and whether our guttering might be too close to the slate roof? Houses in an adjacent scheme are hardly affected?
Many thanks

Hi Jim. Interesting question and difficult to answer as there are many factors to consider. EG. The slate/tile over hang, North or South facing, guttering material, good or badly insulated houses, blocked (frozen outlets), All these can have an effect, along with plastic being very brittle with low temperatures and snapping on the impact of ice slipping down roof.
Snow guards can be fitted, but there visual display, does in most cases not enhance the building.

Hi Jim. Interesting question and difficult to answer as there are many factors to consider. EG. The slate/tile over hang, North or South facing, guttering material, good or badly insulated houses, blocked (frozen outlets), All these can have an effect, along with plastic being very brittle with low temperatures and snapping on the impact of ice slipping down roof.
Snow guards can be fitted, but there visual display, does in most cases not enhance the building.

Thanks for the reply justlead1 - I understand all you have written - North, South, East & West are all as badly affected... I do not exaggerate when I say most guttering is down & rhone pipes ripped from the walls - the tile overhang is aprox 2.5 inches & into the first third the guttering, which in turn is set about 1.5 inches below... the outer edge of the guttering sticks out by 2 inches. It all seems to tight to me. Due to the angle of the roof the guttering that juts out is right in the path and a direct obstacle to any snow movement... even if the guttering was lowered by just an inch it would still catch the water run off & sustain less damage? Hope this all makes sense?
Jim

Reg, this, and, that, nobody can be bullet proof in this country with variable weather like we have besides it could be good for some folk

Hi Jim. The measurments you state are county average. As Quality suggests, its a hard call. If the gutter is too low water is blown against fascia, creating other long term problems. This part of plumbing is based on historic data, but certainly over the last ten years a far greater increase in the intensity of rain / snow has been experienced in the UK. The question being can we afford to design this problem out of our lives with something that is aesthetically pleasing.?
Most European Countries that experience snow in quantity use metal (copper / zinc) gutters with far more fixing than the 1 per M we employ here.

Most European Countries that experience snow in quantity use metal (copper / zinc) gutters with far more fixing than the 1 per M we employ here.

I think this is the only way forward - I worked a lot in Norway, Germany & Holland before I retired but didn't pay any attention to their guttering... LOL! but I do remember the sturdy, sometimes ornate, facia... I doubt the flimsy stuff used on any new build in the UK (since the 50's), could cope with metal guttering in weather like we've just had... it would be ripped of the wall... ah, well... just have to suck it and see. Another ÂŁ400/500 literly 'down the drain'...
2ft of snow yesterday... hardly any today... tipical UK weather!
Many thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Guttering guidelines? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
A friend has a compensating boiler installed 2 years ago which failed to fire up at the beginning of last week when the really cold weather...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, firstly I am new to forums so apologies if I dont conform to appropriate ettitues and standards... not even sure if this thread is in...
Replies
Views
migoplumber
M
P
French Plumbing Sorry that this is over 4 postings, it was too much for one posting, so please bear with me There is not much difference...
Replies
Views
L
For 5-6 weeks we have had a horrific smell of sever gas coming from the hallway and under the stairs. House it a 1950's ex council Semi with...
Replies
Views
Winston
W
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock