Discuss Gurgling and air in central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Looks like that but really you shouldn't be getting any air anywhere now IF that is/was the problem, did you or someone say that air might be getting in where the electric heating element is screwed into it?, you might be able to rejoint that.

I said there is a T piece with an electric element. I wondered if the rubber seals could be letting air in?

IMG_9177.jpg

Could be corrosion cheap towel rads are know for it

Well, I like the fact that you're working on ruling that out, I suppose. They could be a weak point, and if the towel rail is running under negative pressure (which the jury is still out on) they could be the point of entry.

I’m not sure how the rad is running under negative pressure?

I do know that if I isolate the towel rail and bleed it for a while it seems to be full of air. If I bleed I’ll get a blast of air, then water, then air. It’ll gurgle and finally lose pressure and the water level in the rad is way below the top of the rad.

If this rad was drawing in air or rusting, surely it would do the same while isolated and running on the electric element?

Happy to replace it but would like to rule it out. The pipes are in the wall so a replacement would mean a bit of smashing out. Would rather avoid if unnecessary.

The towel rail will not be running negative while isolated (assuming you are isolating both sides...?). If the pressure is only negative at certain times (could happen only on pump start up), it might be hard to see the negative pressure. I'm not entirely convinced the towel rail IS under negative pressure, though, so that's why I like the fact that you are testing it!

Happy New Year all!

I didn't get around to replacing the towel rail before Christmas. The towel rail was rapidly filling with air. About 1 bar on the towel rail each day would become cold. I added a couple bottles of inhibitor to the towel radiator as I was concerned that the system was running low.

I got Baxi out and the engineer gave yet another opinion! He said that air in the system would take years to work its way out of the system. I was a bit suspicious as I've never heard this before. He said let the air fill up, bleed it in a few months, don't worry about it, there's no leak.

Anyway, in the run up to New Year about half the towel rail was cold.

At 7am on New Year's Day, I noticed water on a bedroom ceiling. I went into the loft, opened the hatch in the dwarf wall and could see that a speedfit elbow had leaked.

Now, the pipework above behind the dwarf wall was probably the height of the radiator in the loft. What I mean is that this is the highest pipework in the house, nearly level with the top of the radiator. I trimmed the speedfit down a bit so it's roughly level with the bottom of the radiator and replaced the elbow.

Since then the towel rail has been red-hot. I've heard no gurgling. It's been six days.

Could it be that this elbow at the top of the house was somehow pulling in air?

Sounds a plausible reason. Air is more likely to enter at the highest point. 'Years to get the air out'?. Heck of a lot of air, though, isn't it? ;)

Reply to Gurgling and air in central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Boiler is making a gurgling sound and keeps short cycling. I believe there is air in the the system and I've already bled all the radiators. This...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock