Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Governing Bodies. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
AKA those people that do very little for the great sums we have to pay.

Other than looking professional because you are a member, what do the "governing bodies" do for you?

I've phoned gas safe a couple of times with regards to unsafe situations and they have advised me really well. Weather or not its worth £170 a year is another question all together.

to be honest I have no time for any of them I just feel they are some form of stealth tax The only one I am a member of is Gas Safe and If I could get away with not being a member I would, I am currently exploiting a loop hole with MCS but I feel it wont be long before I have to register with them B#$£#!%S too, They are like leaches you are forced to pay for their services, they do absolutely bugger all to stop the cowboys, but if you make a little mistake they come down on you like a ton of bricks

I phoned OFTEC recently expressing concern about a boiler replacement and the flue.

Me:What should I be looking for to find out if I need to replace the flue or not?
O: How do you mean?

Me: I don't know how long the present one has been in place. How do I tell if it needs replacing?
O: Errr ...

Me: Presumably I should try and clean it?
O: That's a good idea.

Me: Should I test it?
O: Yes

Me: How?

Me: Do I light a smoke bomb in the bottom and put a plate over the top of it?
O: That's a good idea, that should work.

Me: I'm not sure about the rules on installing non condensing boilers.
O: Have you used the calculator?

Me: Yes, but I don't know whether I've put the correct figures in or not?
O: Did you put some figures in and get an answer?

Me: Yes, but I don't now whether they were the right figures or how I should interpret the reading.
O: I'm not sure how it's used either.

Me: The boiler's going into a listed house with a thatched roof. Are there any details I need to be careful about?
O: As far as I know it's just to ensure the flue terminal is far enough away from the roof. Try your local building control.

Me: Thanks for all your help.
O: You're welcome. Any more questions, don't hesitate to phone again.

I phoned OFTEC recently expressing concern about a boiler replacement and the flue.

Me:What should I be looking for to find out if I need to replace the flue or not?
O: How do you mean?

Me: I don't know how long the present one has been in place. How do I tell if it needs replacing?

Me: Presumably I should try and clean it?
O: That's a good idea.

Me: Should I test it?
O: Yes

Me: How?

Me: Do I light a smoke bomb in the bottom and put a plate over the top of it?
O: That's a good idea, that should work.

Me: I'm not sure about the rules on installing non condensing boilers.
O: Have you used the calculator?

Me: Yes, but I don't know whether I've put the correct figures in or not?
O: Did you put some figures in and get an answer?

Me: Yes, but I don't now whether they were the right figures or how I should interpret the reading.
O: I'm not sure how it's used either.

Me: The boiler's going into a listed house with a thatched roof. Are there any details I need to be careful about?
O: As far as I know it's just to ensure the flue terminal is far enough away from the roof. Try your local building control.

Me: Thanks for all your help.
O: You're welcome. Any more questions, don't hesitate to phone again.

about as useful as a cup of cold pee then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Governing Bodies. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently...
Replies
Views
Last May had a new Greenstar 4000 boiler fitted and only recently started using the heating. Once the set room temperature is reached the boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock