Search the forum,

Discuss What the heck is this? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
Hi everyone,
I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question.

I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently widowed and her 90yo husband who has since passed insisted on doing everything for himself. Nothing wrong with that but now that he has gone my wife (their daughter) and I are having to increasingly put right things that he had left.

My question is, she pointed this thing out to me yesterday (see pic below) and says that it is some kind of water softener. Not that I disbelieve her but she’s a complete technophobe and really has no idea how things work, because my father-in-law would just fix them himself, whether or not they should be “fixed” that way, if you understand my meaning.

As you can see it’s about 150mm (6”) in size as I put a rule alongside for scale. It’s located in a cupboard in the shower room, which is immediately behind the shower. It looks like it’s attached to the cold water pipes and as you can see the top can come off with a spanner that’s big enough for the job. To the left (out of shot) the pipe has a tap/stopcock(?).

I have no idea what’s inside it, but mother-in-law tells me that she thinks her husband would some kind of white balls into it having cleared out a sludge beforehand.

I have done a little DIY plumbing in the past but I am no professional or even gifted/good amateur, so if anyone can tell me what this is firstly and secondly what, if anything, I have to do with it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4052.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. It does have "WEC" in raised letters on it with "1/2" below the letters if that helps. I think it does show them on the photo. Either way I will check this out.

Your mother in law is absolutely correct, it is a water softener and filter be it a very old fashioned one. Weco still make this type of softener but using modern day materials ie. plastic.

A Calmag XC-SI-CALMAG-15, Magnetic 15 mm Compression Scale Inhibitor would be a good replacement for the one installed and costs about £15 on Amazon. Just a bit of pipe work alteration and job done.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. WECO said it wasn’t one of theirs but it was the sales department that replied and maybe they weren’t up on old products. @Rrplumb thank you for the suggested replacement and it’ll be something I’ll look into.

Reply to What the heck is this? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock