Discuss Gledhill light unvented cylinder imploded in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can shed light on this problem.
I’ve been and changed bath taps For a client by first isolating the cold mains.
I then opened the kitchen mixer tap to drain both hot and cold water and while that was draining, I went into the bathroom and opened the separate hot and cold bath taps.
The water started to slow down but the hot took a little longer to stop (no more then 1-2mins).
So I proceeded to remove the bath taps then suddenly the hot water started running from the pipe. At this stage the tap was already removed so I had to place my finger over the pipe to stop the water.
I asked the client to open the taps downstairs to which he replied “they are already open”
He then went into the loft to isolate the hot water outlet from the cylinder via a gate valve he had installed by the installer of the cylinder.
After replacing the taps, I asked the water to be switched back on and all looked well till the clients son shouts out that the boiler is leaking.
I went up into the loft and saw that the cylinder was leaking from the heating outlet into a polythene sheet made up into a box.
I isolated the cold mains and although the cylinder looked fine externally, the top had come away and the secondary outlet that was unused had moved away from its original position and poking out into the insulation of the cylinder away from where it should be. It was obvious that the cylinder had imploded and went near back into shape once the water was put back on.
At this point the client says to me “not again”
He then explained that that’s the second cylinder that’s imploded the first one five years ago and now this one. Apparently the first one imploded after the client changed a washer in one of the taps.
The cylinder is installed in the loft and it’s a detached 4 bedroom property with 2 bathrooms.

On inspection, the only thing I noticed is that the expansion vessel is installed on the hot water outlet instead of being installed after the combination valve on the cold inlet as illustrated on the manual
Would this void the warranty and cause such problem?

244BA2B5-2602-4383-95CC-5C77C04DCF98.jpeg

A307AECD-A047-42E6-BF2A-A0B50871064B.jpeg

EBC275B8-2A3F-448B-A515-B8E418774E0F.jpeg

8302EEDD-4354-49BC-B531-D9B11DE99B32.jpeg

0B4AB131-AA09-4967-B51C-5225E73D0E37.jpeg

4F2B6FD1-22AA-468B-B713-9B348300FDE3.jpeg

8F790844-BE1F-4C2B-81AE-BA599B067CD0.jpeg

515677BE-0C9B-4C20-8FAB-B3941735EAE3.jpeg

Hi,
Neither am I gas safe no am I G3 qualified
I’m a competent plumber and install bathrooms for a living.
I’m not installing or touching the cylinder. I’m trying to get myself out of the liability and also to help my client resolve this issue.

The cold water supply to cylinder from the multifunction valve is coming off the wrong port.

Hi,
I had also noticed that.
Looking at the manual, it’s not in the right orientation.
The main thing I noticed was the expansion vessel.
They may be other problems but as I’m not G3 qualified, I can’t comment on the installation.
I just want to arm myself with as much information for the client to either get a replacement cylinder or get the installer to take liability.

Then first things first get a G3 qualified engineer in to assess the situation. My guess is that no one checked the install was correct on first or second install so I’d say you’re ok

Reply to Gledhill light unvented cylinder imploded in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi, Hi wonder if anyone could help? I have a customer that has recently had backflow problems with her cylinder. She gets very hot water coming...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock