Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Getting into Plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

textbook

I tried to get into plumbing a year and a half ago and was told the certificate had been finished and there was no other way of getting in, except for an apprenticeship. But this isn't true, is it? I mean I have recently seen the Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Crafts... isn't this the same as the old certificate and the only way older people can get into the trade?

I believe the level 2 diploma will not qualify you as a plumber,it is the nvq you will need and this requires site experience,but doesnt have to be official apprenticeship,it can be voluntary work

You don't need anything to become a plumber. Just ring around asking if you can do a few days a week with a local plumber.

Everyones a plumber but not all are qualified plumbers with certs to prove

Last edited by a moderator:
that's not realistic if you're 39. So would this be the next best step? better than a train4trades course, right? It's through a proper college.

that's not realistic if you're 39. So would this be the next best step? better than a train4trades course, right? It's through a proper college.

It's not realistic to think you can make it as a plumber at 39. Apprentice route is the only one employers respect. Think about it: For every job you apply for, there'll be another applicant, around the same age as you who's been doing the job 48-50 weeks a year since he was 16. Who's gonna get the job? Not you. Give it up.

And if you're thinking you'll go it alone, you may as well not bother with college at all, cos they teach you nothing of worth, go buy a big horse and have it sign written.

It's not realistic to think you can make it as a plumber at 39. Apprentice route is the only one employers respect. Think about it: For every job you apply for, there'll be another applicant, around the same age as you who's been doing the job 48-50 weeks a year since he was 16. Who's gonna get the job? Not you. Give it up.

And if you're thinking you'll go it alone, you may as well not bother with college at all, cos they teach you nothing of worth, go buy a big horse and have it sign written.

Ahhh feeling threatened are we little man!

Ahhh feeling threatened are we little man!
it is not a case of feeling threatened at all. TB was spelling it out for you in a realistic manner. there is loads of hype about earning £40,000 a year after doing short courses, about a lack of plumbers etc. none of which is really true. the truth is that the industry is over subscribed to such an extent that plumbers sometimes go days or weeks between jobs.

Believe it or not, skilled tradesmen don't easily feel threatened by wannabes with no skills, experience or qualifications. It has no bearing on me or my colleagues what you do, but I'd rather make my money by doing a good job first time, rather than running round cleaning up the mess left by fast track college cowboys with a "diploma"

They are only trying to tell it, as it is.
I go to college 2 evenings a week and spend 1 day a week working with a very experienced plumbing/heating engineer and i have learnt so much being hands on as they say.
(I still work as a nurse because i have to keep bringing in the money with having a young family)
If it something that you really want, them go for it.
Best regards
Stacey

They are only trying to tell it, as it is.
I go to college 2 evenings a week and spend 1 day a week working with a very experienced plumbing/heating engineer and i have learnt so much being hands on as they say.
(I still work as a nurse because i have to keep bringing in the money with having a young family)
If it something that you really want, them go for it.
Best regards
Stacey

Ok, so why didn't they say- won't be as good as someone with all the experience, but if you work hard you might make something of living? The reason they don't say this is not cos they're saying it as it is, but they're thick idiots with no academic qualifications from school so feel threatened; simple as that!

Good on you for having a go in your case though!

Nice to see you back Stacey.

Think I prefer the thought of you as a nurse rather than a plumber! Lol.

Seriously though I hope it's going well with the training.

Ok, so why didn't they say- won't be as good as someone with all the experience, but if you work hard you might make something of living? The reason they don't say this is not cos they're saying it as it is, but they're thick idiots with no academic qualifications from school so feel threatened; simple as that!

I gave you fair warning earlier. See you next week and hopefully your attitude will have improved.

with no academic qualifications from school so feel threatened; simple as that!

How come these guys who have 'good qualifications' want to retrain at 39.
I really would like to know what they think they will be doing day in day out to earn more money than they are on now?

I have been lurking around in the back ground and yes the training is going really well,
Having the 1 day a week, work experience is great because its very different to the classroom work and you just learn so much more. ( My pipe bending is spot on now)
Thanks to you guys and girls on this forum with the links and tips, i have learnt loads. I still have the odd blonde moment in plumbing though.
I only work 3 nights a week in accident and emergency now because of the time factor with college and kids.
Best wises and regards
Stacey

Don't worry about the blonde moments. I get them and I've got no hair!

We all get moments of this :willy_nilly:

FYI I have 3 A-levels and a GNVQ3, as well as the plumbing quals. Just because we chose a manual job doesn't mean we're idiots. Besides that, at the very least I know how to conduct myself, unlike you. You'll never make it in any trade, you have completely the wrong attitude.

funny old thing but all the youngsters out there with the tinpot degrees in film studies dont have any jobs either. Nice to see him banned by the way.

As I said in another thread, I will not have anyone insulting or upsetting you lot.

That's my job lol......

Very negative post, what about barring people for being overly glum!

The truth is, everything that was said. You can't ban someone for telling the truth!

So no one has ever retrained who is 39? Is that the truth?

i retrained at 45 but I was only a little rude in my comments:):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting into Plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
D
I have been given a quote to fix a noisy tap. Apparently they have to “replace breech to main shower” — which I understand to mean the thing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock