Discuss Gas Safe wants your money in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

unguided1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys

I dunno what this detritus is but I have recieved this from Capita Sorry I mean Gas Safe any way I avent read it properly cos I cant be bothered all I saw was the fact that again they are asking for more money so If you are happy paying more and more to be in you chosen trade then fine keep paying, If your not happy then voice yer opinions

Access to normative standards and documents for smaller Gas Safe registered businesses

Following the groundbreaking agreement between BSI, IGEM and UKLPG to provide smaller businesses with access to the essential industry standards all Gas Safe registered businesses must work to, work has been underway to develop a simple subscription system to bring these documents to engineers.

A number of industry groups and individuals have lobbied for many years to bring down the costs, particularly for smaller businesses and sole traders. It has been estimated that a complete set of all the current industry standards could cost up to £17,000, putting them out of reach for many smaller businesses. By agreeing to reduce the costs for smaller businesses it is hoped this will make it easier for individual engineers to access this essential information.

Gas Safe Register has been asked to host the system on its website as we can provide a secure environment and have systems in place to manage payments. Testing has now been completed and the system is now available to access:

What is available?
More than 80 individual essential Standards documents (32 IGEM, 36 BSI, 16 UKLPG) covering domestic, commercial and industrial gas installations are available on the system. As new standards are issued they will be added to the database.

Where can I find it?
To subscribe to the system, log into your online account at:
www.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/engineers using your User ID and password. Click on ‘Standards Subscriptions’ on the left hand side of the page. You will then be taken through the subscription and payment options.

What can I do with the documents?
Documents can be read on screen on the secure website or they can be printed. Electronic copies cannot be saved to your hard drive – this is partly to reduce the risk of pirating but also to ensure that the version you see is always up to date.

What does this cost?
You can subscribe from £75.00 per year if your business has 1 – 5 engineers. (If you subscribe for three years the cost is £180.00)
If your business has 6 -10 engineers then a subscription is £150 per year (or £360 for three years)

A full FAQ on the Access to Standards scheme is available on the website.

Yours sincerely

Simon Ayers
Gas Safe Register

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated. All copyright in any Capita material in this email is reserved.

All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Capita and monitored for legitimate business purposes.

Capita exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

so does that mean I cant use me trusty old corgi book anymore circa 1990????? its probably older than some of the gas safe engineers on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think it is a great achievement to get this set up and at £75 the cost is not over the top,under £1.50 a week(or just over a quid if taken over 3 years), for all these industry standards,updated as need be,all in one place at your figure tips
Many are quick to take cheap shots at gas safe ,accusing them for not doing enough,lets hope they are just as quick to say well done here for providing the platform required

imho

sorry puddle but I have to disagree with you on this one do the appliance manufacturers not give us enough information in their manuals. I already pay Gas Safe nearly £200 a year for a plastic card that no one wants to look at and a load of magasines that I do not have time to read.
I am assuming that what they are offering is supposedly essential for the safety of my customers and the way I run my business, well I say if it was truly that essential they would be paying me for my time to read it understand and implement it, thats what usually happens when someone tells me what they want me to do, they pay me.
I say this industry is the wrong way round at the moment

65,000 businesses and 130,000 engineers registered with Gas Safe... Share £17,000 for the cost of all the documents ,, hmmmmmmm. If you charged an extra £1/engineer you'd generate £130k ... I wonder how much it costs Gas safe to set up the web facility for us?

This should be available to all registered installers as part of the membership fee.If Gas Safe is about ensuring correct working practices then we shouldn't have to pay to read them. I would understand an slight increase in the yearly fee to cover the costs but £75 extra per year is too much.And why is the price doubled if the company has more than 6 engineers?That's just profiteering.

I think they have had to negotiate this as they (gas safe) do not (don't think they are allowed to) produce books like corgi did.
As i have already said, how can you be expected to work to a standard when the only time most see them is during an ACS resit.
They should be freely available to all in the trade but at least this is a start. Not many could say they can't afford a pound odds a week.

Stick it in a biscuit tin and save up for it. Cheaper than a coffee a week. Seriously, if you can't afford this you should think about giving it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safe wants your money in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock