Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Pressures Advice - Confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fireplace_man

Hello, i am GSR fiter, after some more advice. I fitted a gas fire today, the standing pressure at the meter is 18mbar, working pressure at meter is 18mbar. The inlet pressure at the fire is 17mbar.

Thats a 1 mbar drop so when the standing pressure is adjusted it should be ok? do i just get the gas transporter out to sort it out. Do i have to be there? Never needed to call them before. Any advice? Do i have to return after they have been to commision everything?

The gas is off at the house at the mo as its empty.

Thanks

I think you are answering your own questions really,
as the pressure is out of the set limits then yes you need to get the gas transporter involved. had similar with a job I was assisting on a few months back, called the national grid, guy arrived about twenty minutes later swapped the regulator - job done
they will only want to correct the supply pressure issues, they wont commission the fire for you

Are you sure that's the inlet pressure or is it the cold setting pressure of the fire?
The Gas transporter isnt concerned with the downstream, only what the meter is doing, they might adjust it up or it could have been down to heavy usage at certain times of the day? I would go back when you know the incoming pressure should be higher and check it again, if its constantly 18mb you could ring them and see what they say...
If you still have a 1mb drop then you'll need to look at the pipework

a couple of questions
did you gas rate the fire and do a visual inspection of the flame picture? (it has been know for a test point to be partially blocked, which effects the gas at the u guage but isnt affecting the safety of the fire)
what pressure is required at the fire? a lot of fires only need 17 so if it was 17 you could have fully commissioned it
did you do a TT at 18 (with gas) or pump it up to 20 and test with gas and air, this perfectly acceptable and as you would have had to purge the install whatever you did i wouldnt have added anythig to the time on the job

Yes good point Kirkgas I have come across that before a block test point

Sounds like you have a faulty govner on meter ! had it loads of times, get them to replace it.:yes:

Hello, well i tested it again, nothing was blocked. The inlet pressure at the fire should of read 20mbar +/- 1mbar. National grid turned up an hour after my call, governer changed and all is sorted.

Glad that everything was sorted out, have had SGN out a few times on various jobs, got talking to the guy, who told me that they have a list of regulators that are dodgy ie seats falling of and giving weird readings, also ones that start leaking gas nice to know

Yes i spoke to the bloke who came out, first time ive ever called them out, so wanted to check i wasnt being stupid. He was telling me about certain areas in the town i was in having poor pressures and most governers having faults. He didnt even test the regulator on the job, just said it looks knackered so changed it. Sorted.

did you gas rate the fire and do a visual inspection of the flame picture? (it has been know for a test point to be partially blocked, which effects the gas at the u guage but isnt affecting the safety of the fire)

If the fire test point was blocked what difference would that have made?
He is not doing anything wrong with having a 1mb drop from meter to fire working pressures. Its the low pressure to start with at the meter so this has nothing to do with a blocked test point on a fire.

Yes 1 mbar drop is allowed but not when it's outwith the range of 19-23 mbar, which clearly indicates a prob with the incoming supply

Yes 1 mbar drop is allowed but not when it's outwith the range of 19-23 mbar, which clearly indicates a prob with the incoming supply

Yes I know this, as I said it is a problem with the governor or supply to meter, but nothing at all to do with a blocked test nipple on the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pressures Advice - Confused in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've got a testo 327-1 that I purchased back in 2019 when I went self employed. The analyser hasn't been calibrated since purchase. After...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock