Discuss Gas Pressure Reducers: On Cylinders in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi!

I am quickly becoming a hobbyist about all things helium. I was hoping someone would be able to answer my questions about pressure reducers. Thanks for your help!

1. Are pressure reducers universal? Can you switch them across different cylinders?

2. If not is there a system for mixing and matching from different companies?

Thanks for your time.

1. No. They vary in size, the type(s) of gas they are compatible with, the outlet/inlet pressures they handle, flow capacity, etc.

2. There is some standardisation but see answer 1.

High pressure gas cylinders are not toys. There are a lot of safety issues involved in transporting, keeping, testing and using them. You should rent a cylinder, holder and regulator as a complete and tested assembly from your supplier. They should deliver and install it, make sure you understand how to use it safely and have the proper signage in place, oxygen depletion alarm(s) if necessary, and then take it away again once you have done with it.

For my purposes I need only small tanks (available online) Is there any way to buy the two separately? Do you know of a website that discusses this standardization?

But if your supplier can't answer your questions you should not be buying from them!

Bear in mind that helium is almost the smallest molecule, it will probably, like hydrogen, tend to leak past fittings that are usually suitable for gases.

Reply to Gas Pressure Reducers: On Cylinders in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I hope someone might be able to help please. I hope this isn't a daft question. I am trying to remove the side panels on my...
Replies
Views
Hello. I wonder if someone can help. We have noticed 2 issues in our house over the last couple of weeks . We have a Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
Back