Discuss Gas pipe installed on the outisde of house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeorgeOz

Hi there,

I am a little concerned regarding a gas pipe that runs on the outside of my house... The pipe comes off of the meter, straight outside and then runs along the side of the house tees in for the cooker and carries on round the back of the house and then back into the house just under the combi boiler.

It isn't insulated or anything just bare copper. Is this something to worry about or is this normal practice? SHould it be insulated etc, etc?

The pipe is running about 3-4ft high along the side and back of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once its bracketed correctly and sleeved where it enters through wall to cooker and boiler it would be fine .no need for insulation on gas pipe
one thing would be that if the pipe is in an area where it could be damaged by collision it shud be guarded by trunking or metal guarding

No no no get gas as cold as possible it's boyles law. Higher calorific content at low temps.

No no no get gas as cold as possible it's boyles law. Higher calorific content at low temps.
is that frankie boyles law ermi ? :confused:

it's charles law and you want to increase the gas temperature not decrease it, that way you might get
some gas for free :wink_smile:

pressure would need to be constant though.

[DLMURL="http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/501hcboilingpts.html"]Hydrocarbon boiling points[/DLMURL]

for the gas to freeze it first has to be cooled to the point of becoming liquid.
this happens at -164 degrees centigrade, so keep an eye on the forecast and act accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

I am a little concerned regarding a gas pipe that runs on the outside of my house... The pipe comes off of the meter, straight outside and then runs along the side of the house tees in for the cooker and carries on round the back of the house and then back into the house just under the combi boiler.

It isn't insulated or anything just bare copper. Is this something to worry about or is this normal practice? SHould it be insulated etc, etc?

The pipe is running about 3-4ft high along the side and back of the house.

To give a different slant on this ,in a lot of new build flats the gas run is external now as this is the preferred option,no internal boxing which needs vents in it,if it leaks it will not cause an immediate risk.

Quite true S Paul. I attended a property in Esher last week. It was a New Build (Three Yrs Old) and had a massive leak. Must have been leaking from installation date, at meter union elbow. Good thing Gas Meter was outside, boiler in garage and only gas pipe into property was less than a meter to kitchen hob

I work on new builds, and the gas pipes on the flats run right down the outside in downpipes & that's only because the developer think it looks more pleasing to the eye :/

I work on new builds, and the gas pipes on the flats run right down the outside in downpipes & that's only because the developer think it looks more pleasing to the eye :/

Chances are the Developer doesn't want the gas pipes stolen. all that nice shinny copper, imagine the temptation:vanish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe installed on the outisde of house... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock