Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Pipe Duct/boxing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thecalvers

I would like to create boxing around gas and water pipes for the installation of a shower. The shower is part of an extension that has a steel gas pipe rising into the new bathroom that was once external. Can I duct around the pipe to take it to the wall... could the term duct include boxing around that pipe and other water pipes as long as it is vented where I can run it externally, then back through a wall to the meter in a adjoining garage.

Can I have this duct/boxing directly under a shower creating a type of shelf in the shower?

yes you can box a gas pipe in, if the boxing is over 0.01m2 then you will need to vent it with the correct size ventilation. If you want the pipework altered then get a local gas safe engineer to give you a quote for the work.

Would I have to buy ready made vents or could I just drill venting in? If the boxing is 0.6x0.1x1m then what size vent would I need??? Thank you.

yes you can box a gas pipe in, if the boxing is over 0.01m2 then you will need to vent it with the correct size ventilation. If you want the pipework altered then get a local gas safe engineer to give you a quote for the work.

vents need minimum and maximum sized holes, and you need to be able to see that the venting has the correct free flow of air.
the best way to do that is to by purpose made vents that clearly state the vent area size in cm2.
as already said by AW your gas engineer that does the pipework will be best suited to advise on this.

going by the sizes you've given, there's a caveat in BS6891:2005 (section 8.11.1) which could apply - if the volume of your boxing in is less than 0.1 m^3 then it is considered to be adeqautely ventilated via adventitious means and therefore no additional ventilation is required. The sizes you've given result in a volume of 0.06m^3, don't know if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pipe Duct/boxing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock